Medal Collectors and Militaria Collectors...we have a fight on our hands.

tarbridge

Forum members have noticed the posts recently here concerning Purple Hearts Reunited and the now proposed H.R.6324 Bill.This bill has the purpose to stop the buying- selling-trading of Purple Hearts. We need all that have a part in our community of Collectors and Dealers to write your Representatives, relay to them the misguided consequences of the bill. Remember, it could be your area of collecting next...we must stand together.

This is my Declaration...

Stand against and say NO to Purple Hearts Reunited...a misguided organization with questionable intentions.

Most of you know me but my name is Robert G Wilson and I'm a lifelong resident of Fayetteville, Cumberland County, North Carolina. I am a collector of Military items especially related to the United States and the medals of our Armed Forces.This is something I've done since being a youngster, I'm now 58 years old.

Many of the medals awarded to our Brave Servicemen go back to the War with Mexico (circa 1840's).There is now a proposed Bill to stop the collecting of Purple Hearts, this Bill will effectively make the Veterans, the families and collectors, criminals.Wars such as WWII and WWI span 70 to almost 100 years ago...the families are deceased and in cases not interested, These medals have run out of caretakers, the collector community helps salvage,honor and respect the sacrifices of our nation's heroes. This process is mostly done by the collectors at a considerable cost.If we had no interest or intent,lots of the symbols of American heritage, would be in the local landfill.

I most humbly urge you to contact your representatives and ask them to vote NO against the approval of H.R. 6234- Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act of 2016.

This Bill will cause History and Heritage to be lost and Veterans , families and collectors , it will make us Criminals. Don't sit idly bye and let them railroad this ridiculous Bill into becoming a Law. Call...write...email...text anybody that you can and tell them to stop the insanity of this misguided attempt.

The individual behind this has hundreds of medals he can't find the families to return them (must have run out of 5th cousins twice removed).He has said it cost in the neighborhood of $1500 for each he returned...I have returned 5 or 6 this year...it was at a cost of $6.80 each (priority mail box). I needed no TV cameras or newspaper reporters or media of any type. I don't need $150,000. in donations either.

The collector's and dealer's of this world have saved...salvaged...honored and respected more medals than Purple Heart Reunited has even thought possible.

One of my main problems...if he would have tried to work with the collectors and dealers instead of condemning us...we could have been one of his best allies. But he has a crusade and has attacked us many times.

>I'm here to say...Bill or no Bill...I would be arrested buying medals before I allowed any US medal to be thrown in the trash or sent to the landfill.

With Respect ,

Robert G Wilson

To amend title 18, United States Code, to provide for penalties for the

sale of any Purple Heart awarded to a member of the Armed Forces.

Be it enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives of the

United States of America in Congress assembled,

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

This Act may be cited as the ``Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart

Preservation Act of 2016''.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

Congress finds the following:

(1) The Purple Heart medal solemnly recognizes the great

and sometimes ultimate sacrifice of American servicemembers

like Private Corrado Piccoli.

(2) The Purple Heart medal holds a place of honor as the

national symbol of this sacrifice and deserves special

protections.

SEC. 3. PENALTY FOR SALE OF PURPLE HEARTS AWARDED TO MEMBERS OF THE

ARMED FORCES.

Subsection (a) of section 704 of title 18, United States Code, is

amended to read as follows:

``(a) In General.--

``(1) Penalty.--Whoever knowingly purchases, attempts to

purchase, solicits for purchase, mails, ships, imports,

exports, produces blank certificates of receipt for,

manufactures, sells, attempts to sell, advertises for sale,

trades, barters, or exchanges for anything of value any

decoration or medal authorized by Congress for the armed forces

of the United States, or any of the service medals or badges

awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon, button,

or rosette of any such badge, decoration or medal, or any

colorable imitation thereof, except when authorized under

regulations made pursuant to law, shall be fined under this

title or imprisoned not more than six months, or both.

``(2) Limitation on regulations.--Regulations referred to

in paragraph (1) may not authorize the sale of any Purple Heart

awarded to a member of the Armed Forces or former member of the

Armed Forces by the Secretary of the military department

concerned.''.

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

protections.

ARMED FORCES.

``(a) In General.--

concerned.''.

Looks to me like they not only want to stop the sale of purple hearts but all medals and decorations awarded to service members, am I really reading that right??

Looks to me like they not only want to stop the sale of purple hearts but all medals and decorations awarded to service members, am I really reading that right??

I would say that the camel's nose under the tent theory should apply- -I agree with Robert-WRITE, CALL, but DON'T sit back and wait for the rest of the world to do it.

I can't see the President-Elect signing this stupid bill if it makes it out of Congress as a stand only bill. I can also see it be challenged in the courts.

Okay Gentleman,

Any ideas on things to do to counteract this proposed bill besides the writing campaign to our representatives?

SECTION 1. SHORT TITLE.

SEC. 2. FINDINGS.

protections.

ARMED FORCES.

``(a) In General.--

concerned.''.

Alec,

Was this recently amended? I thought I was receiving changes in the status of the bill, but am afraid I am not receiving them.

The last status update I received was earlier this week when a Representative from California signed on as a co-sponsor (I believe the bill has about 16 co-sponsors). I thought it had been referred to a sub-committee of the Judiciary Committee for review.

Please let me know the source of your post so I can back-track to make sure I am still "on-track."

Thanks,

John A-G

Editor, Military Trader

Maybe, but I would not make that assumption. On the surface, this Bill appears as vet-friendly, and designed to protect them, their families, and their sacrifice. Only until you dig into it, and start testing the logic, history of like legislation, and alternate resolution avenues, does it appear as what it is.

The question is what proportion of our elected officials will give it that level of thought. It has some compelling keywords, that have proven successful in the past.

At the expense of sounding like Chicken Little, I think it has a better than half chance of passing.

I can't see the President-Elect signing this stupid bill if it makes it out of Congress as a stand only bill. I can also see it be challenged in the courts.

Okay Gentleman,

Any ideas on things to do to counteract this proposed bill besides the writing campaign to our representatives?

Contact your local TV and other news media to tell your side of the story.

Give them the names of the people that you reunited with their family medals to tell that story.

Pass along any and all positive information about the current state of collecting.

Perhaps the question to be asked of lawmakers is, "why are you supporting a proposed law that takes away my right to sell or trade something that I earned/own/possess/bought/inherited/etc."

Perhaps the question to be asked of lawmakers is, "why are you supporting a proposed law that takes away my right to sell or trade something that I earned/own/possess/bought/inherited/etc."

You cannot argue this by getting defensive and emotional. You will not win. I would stick to facts and leave out emotions.

Because then they will come back with all sorts of responses such as:

What about the ones that are stolen?

What about the ones that are lost?

So you put a price on the loss of a loved one?

Maybe, but I would not make that assumption. On the surface, this Bill appears as vet-friendly, and designed to protect them, their families, and their sacrifice. Only until you dig into it, and start testing the logic, history of like legislation, and alternate resolution avenues, does it appear as what it is.

The question is what proportion of our elected officials will give it that level of thought. It has some compelling keywords, that have proven successful in the past.

At the expense of sounding like Chicken Little, I think it has a better than half chance of passing.

Exactly the problem we face going against this Bill...they have and play the empathy card. They have money and power, also; in most articles I've read concerning the issue...they portray and state we are profiteers and conclude that will are the cause and effect.Their entourage arrives to one of these faux presentations...news camera and reporters at the ready...it sways the Public's opinion ...we cannot get good media coverage...our point is not getting out.

You cannot argue this by getting defensive and emotional. You will not win. I would stick to facts and leave out emotions.

Because then they will come back with all sorts of responses such as:

What about the ones that are stolen?

What about the ones that are lost?

So you put a price on the loss of a loved one?

Those questions will be asked regardless.You answer questions with the truth and you won't be contradicted.

.we cannot get good media coverage...our point is not getting out.

Have you personally tried to tell your story about your medals being returned to the families and been turned down?

If not, then the collectors side of the story is not trying to get out there. Not the medias fault but rather the fault of the collectors not standing up and trying to get their voice heard.

I agree with Robert ! The news media will paint collectors as greedy thieves steeling from families of the fallen !

Does not matter that just because you are related to a soldier indirectly you are not entitled to his awards ! The government does not give replacement medals to me for my great uncles service I am not next of kin ! Can we use their NOK policy against them ?

Have you personally tried to tell your story about your medals being returned to the families and been turned down?

If not, then the collectors side of the story is not trying to get out there. Not the medias fault but rather the fault of the collectors not standing up and trying to get their voice heard.

No for a short answer.I don't have a Military uniform... $150,000 plus in donations...the Army Times...a professional video of my good deeds...the audacity to present a Purple Heart to a family that should not have been (done by PHR).

I spent $6.80 for a priority box and the refund of my purchase.My machine is overwhelmed compared to PHR.

Please stick to the question...I'm asking for suggestions and not criticism.

All of you are assuming that the local news stations will not give positive coverage. WHY NOT TRY rather than sit here and b*@ and moan to like minded individuals. It does NO GOOD! If you feel this passionate, contact your local news station and see what happens!

My suggestion is to contact your local news station. If you don't want to try to get the word out, what else do you want to do? Sit here and complain on the forum?

Quit spinning the topic. We are looking for ideas and suggestions and you are looking for a argument. This is a serious matter to some of us and not philosophical babble.

Quit spinning the topic. We are looking for ideas and suggestions and you are looking for a argument. This is a serious matter to some of us and not philosophical babble.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative. I am honestly trying to help give suggestions and not spin the topic.

The way to get the word out for the collectors side is to contact the media. The proponents for the bill have done that. Why aren't the collectors?

Contacting the politicians is not working. How else is there a way to get the word out to the general public if not thru the media?

I would love to hear any other suggestions besides the media for getting the word out.

I am honestly not trying to be argumentative. I am honestly trying to help give suggestions and not spin the topic.

The way to get the word out for the collectors side is to contact the media. The proponents for the bill have done that. Why aren't the collectors?

Contacting the politicians is not working. How else is there a way to get the word out to the general public if not thru the media?

I would love to hear any other suggestions besides the media for getting the word out.

Then stick to the suggestions and ideas...let our members give a suggestion without telling them that is not what should be done. We will gather all the ideas when it is over and use the most beneficial thoughts.

Your media idea is just fine but we are still active in gathering more avenues.

So far, the media has shown us in a negative slant...TV, Magazine or Internet sites...we have not whined...complained or moaned about this but we are trying to find the way to overcome it.