Got a Named WW2 Marine officer uniform for $14

SergeantMajorGray

SergeantMajorGray

I bought this not knowing it's age or if it was named to recreate my grandfathers uniform from Vietnam but now I've found out its WW2 and named so if anyone can find any information on G. H. Nichols? Is that the name or nichois? I may have to buy another uniform to recreate my grandfathers if this one turns out to be interesting

post-104619-0-47113900-1481688804_thumb.jpgpost-104619-0-53407900-1481688817_thumb.png

post-104619-0-66275200-1481688852_thumb.png

SergeantMajorGray

Looks like NICHOLS

but could be ...ois

I'm pretty sure a thread is covering the H if it's Nichols but the l looks weird almost like a capital i.

SergeantMajorGray

I believe this uniform belonged to Guy H. Nichols. Since he never left the states and would only have the ww2 victory ribbon I think I will use this to recreate my grandfathers Vietnam era officer uniform despite it not being from the same era.

He may not have had a combat position, but he still made it overseas as part of the 7th Separate Laundry Platoon. Somebody had to wash the clothes.

Wow... he went to my high school and grew up a stone's throw from where I live. That's neat.

He was raised in my hometown as well!

It seems Mr. Nichols was a bit overqualified to work the Laundry Platoon. Cornell ROTC graduate who went on to earn a mechanical and aeronautical degree after the war.

SergeantMajorGray

I should add I'm not talking down his service but I spent a lot of money and can't afford to buy officer egas 2nd lieutenant rank and a WW2 ribbon so I was going to use it since I got all my grandfathers insignia already.

• 2 weeks later...

According to his obituary Guy H. Nichols lived in Bradford, MA for a time. Bradford was its own town at one point but became a section of Haverhill, MA in 1897.

After the war, Haverhill produced a book "Haverhill in World War II" and was dedicated to all those from Haverhill who served in the war. In it they attempted to list every citizen who served along with a brief service record. Guy H. Nichols is listed and I've attached a copy below.

post-154043-0-31559900-1483036490_thumb.jpg