Rare USMC ranks in photos

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Scott,

If you get a chance, would you be able to email me a hi-res scan of this photo?

Here's the NCO Mess at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in December 1921. A couple of sergeants, quartermaster sergeants, a gunnery sergeant, and a chief petty officer.

My great uncle Hugo Winter is on the far left. He was a veteran of Vera Cruz, Haiti, and eventually Nicaragua.

• 1 month later...

I just discovered the USMC Uniform Regulations of 1929 online, and was interested to see a chevron insignia that was new to me. On Plate 48, it show Quartermaster Sergeant for the Adjutant and Inspector's Department with a shield in the center above the three ties, with the "plain" three tie stripes for Master Technical Sergeant. I looked through the threads here and couldn't find anything on the one with the shield. Anyone know any more details? Was it short-lived?

Thanks,

Justin B.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Very short lived, from about 1926-29. In 1931 there is no mention of the rank. I would love to find a photo of these being worn for my book.

I just discovered the USMC Uniform Regulations of 1929 online, and was interested to see a chevron insignia that was new to me. On Plate 48, it show Quartermaster Sergeant for the Adjutant and Inspector's Department with a shield in the center above the three ties, with the "plain" three tie stripes for Master Technical Sergeant. I looked through the threads here and couldn't find anything on the one with the shield. Anyone know any more details? Was it short-lived?

Thanks,

Justin B.

Very short lived, from about 1926-29. In 1931 there is no mention of the rank. I would love to find a photo of these being worn for my book.

If you can link any names to the rank, the archives might have official photos