Rare USMC ranks in photos

SgtMaddoxUSMC

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Hello USMF! I wanted to start a thread where everyone can contribute photographs of old and rare USMC ranks being worn! I am working on a little research project regarding the history of enlisted rank chevron so it would help me to see what you guys can share! Thanks in advance! -S/F, Maddox

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I'll start with one that I came across while browsing old auctions on WorthPoint.. Also, I should add if anyone owns any of the photos, please contact me!

Here's a great group shot of Marines wearing the 1898 seam to seam chevrons! Check out the Gunnery Sergeants on the ends (and with only one service stripe each!)!

post-133515-0-83595900-1481683563_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I own the other image that seller offered...

Is it here on the forum anywhere? Would love to see it! (especially if you can see the ranks (: )

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Very rare that he's still wearing the SSI

I thought it was a bit late for that too! I could be wrong on the year but that rank is at least after 1922 so even if I'm off, it's not by much...

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is a photo of the ninth Drum Major Hurshel D. Pryor wearing the Drum Major seam to seam rank from the 1912 series:

post-133515-0-93716900-1481686696_thumb.jpg

Here's the NCO Mess at the Philadelphia Navy Yard in December 1921. A couple of sergeants, quartermaster sergeants, a gunnery sergeant, and a chief petty officer.

My great uncle Hugo Winter is on the far left. He was a veteran of Vera Cruz, Haiti, and eventually Nicaragua.

post-106351-0-38083600-1481686469_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

That's a great shot Scott! Looks like a First Sergeant center rear and also Sergeant Major center front! Almost all ranks accounted for! :D I do love those seam to seams! Even cooler that you have family in the photo!

SgtMaddoxUSMC

20th Band Leader of "The President's Own", Taylor Branson wearing the 2nd Band Leader seam to seams (1912 series chevrons):

post-133515-0-33731200-1481689003_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is the 1912 Gunnery Sergeant dress chevron being worn by GySgt Earnest A. Janson, who won two Medals of Honor, one from the Navy and one from the Army.

post-133515-0-70106400-1481770668_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is a Marine wearing an early Gunnery Sergeant service chevron (unsure which specification year) while firing the Lewis Gun around the first World War

post-133515-0-71024600-1481772857_thumb.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Some great shots there!!! Thanks for sharing! Love that early Gunny chevron and the A&I department device! I am still working on collecting all of the department devices and it is turning out to be quite difficult!

Here is a shot of 1925 (?) Quartermaster Sergeant:

attachicon.gif9546dc65-6042-46c7-be00-1e642c5a590d.jpg

He's wearing a Purple Heart, so that puts the photo at 1932 at the earliest. Being that he's wearing that 2nd Division patch, I would say this is more of a "veteran" type photo, as opposed to an active duty photo. Great photo (as are all the others in this thread).

20th Band Leader of "The President's Own", Taylor Branson wearing the 2nd Band Leader seam to seams (1912 series chevrons):

attachicon.gif1921_ca_Branson124.jpg

I forgot to ask, does anyone know when the lyre replaced the trumpet on the chevrons for the second leader? Apparently he held that position 1921-1927.

Great idea for a thread!

Justin B.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Here is another great Band shot... All the band ranks of the time are present as well as some prominent members.

First, front and center, is Director William H. Santelmann who served as such from 1898-1927 when he retired from the Band.
Immediately to his left is Second Leader Walter F. Smith who served as 2nd Leader from 1899-1921 when he retired.
Upon Smith's retirement, Taylor Branson would become Second Band Leader from 1921-1927 and then took over as Director when Santelmann retired. He would serve in that capacity until he was medically retired in 1940 after over 40 years of service.
Last person of interest, is Drum Major Hurshel Pryor (from post 11) standing second to last row in the center.
I date this photo between 1917 and 1921 being that the musicians are wearing the Field Music chevrons and also the fact that Branson is not yet in the Second Leader position.

post-133515-0-57700500-1481912709_thumb.jpg