HR 6234 responses from elected officials

Pete-o MSU

Here is the response I received back from Senator Gary Peters (D-MI) on HR 6234. It appears he actually read my letter as I got a more detailed response.

"Thank you for contacting me about military awards and decorations. I appreciate you taking the time to express your views. Your input is, and will always be, welcomed and appreciated.

As a former Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve and the son of a World War II veteran, I share your belief that we have a solemn duty to honor our nations military servicemembers. It is important to preserve our military heritage for future generations by honoring those who have bravely served and defended our freedom during times of war. The presentation of military medals and decorations, such as the Purple Heart, is one way to honor their legacy and to express gratitude for the sacrifices faced by servicemembers and their families in service of our country.

Legislation has been introduced in the House of Representatives called the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act that would prohibit the private sale of Purple Hearts and other medals awarded to military servicemembers. It is unfortunate these tokens of gratitude are sometimes lost or stolen from servicemembers and their families. These medals of valor should be returned to the care of their rightful owners or otherwise kept in a way that honors their value, including at a museum or a local veterans history organization. This legislation was referred to the House Judiciary Committee for further consideration. There has been no companion legislation introduced in the Senate, but I will be sure to keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the Senate floor for a vote.

Standing up for our nations servicemembers will remain one of my top priorities. Thank you again for contacting me. I always enjoy hearing from you and hope that you take the time to contact me again soon. For more information, please feel free to visit my website, http://www.peters.senate.gov "

If anyone else has received a response back please post it to this thread.

Pete

I disagree with this in the strongest sense of the word. Do you think he will form a new Governmental Department for the Return of Military Medals, or DRMM? Ha! How much would that cost? Ridiculous.

I was sent word by a forum member today...the Bill will not make this session but will be reintroduced next session.

It still seems to me to be a form letter sent to everyone who wrote to his office about this Bill. It is worded to placate those in support of the bill.

I actually talked to my Representative's staffer last week on Monday. The staffer did agree with what I had to say.

They told me the same thing Robert indicated, it will be reintroduced next session. Its also up to 16 co-signers now. Those supporting the bill have no desire to consider all the un-intended consequence from what it seems to me.

Kurt

I received media and phone responses from my Senator and Congressman...they did not indicate what side they would be...except on both sides...true politicians.

It still seems to me to be a form letter sent to everyone who wrote to his office about this Bill. It is worded to placate those in support of the bill.

Kurt

Right. I received a response back from my congressman also but it was so generic it did not even mention the topic I was concerned about.

I wonder if the wording in the 3rd paragraph was copy and pasted from somewhere. If anyone else has received a response I would love to see it.

Pete

Right. I received a response back from my congressman also but it was so generic it did not even mention the topic I was concerned about.

I wonder if the wording in the 3rd paragraph was copy and pasted from somewhere. If anyone else has received a response I would love to see it.

Pete

Mine had been read and responded to by content.

Below was the response to my email I had used one via the forum.

Dear Brandyn,

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding H.R. 6234, the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act. Your views and opinions are valuable to me as I consider the important issues of the day.

As you know, the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act makes it a crime to knowingly buy, sell, or trade any service medal to any individual or organization. I understand your concern on how this bill could effect your ability to trade or sell service medals, and I believe that inefficient regulations that require unnecessary amounts of filing and red tape can be a huge burden.

I admire your efforts to preserve historical memorabilia and stories from our veterans. Our veterans and service members have bravely served their country and deserve to be recognized and honored for their courage. Please be assured that I will keep your views in mind should this bill come before the full House of Representatives in the future.

Thank you once again for taking the time to contact me. From time to time, I provide electronic updates on issues in which you might be interested. If you would like to receive my E-newsletter, please sign up on my website at http://bustos.house.gov. On my website you can also see my voting record, and get further information about the issues important to our district. Please don't hesitate to contact me if I can be of any further assistance to you or your family.

Kindest Regards,

Cheri

--

Stripping away the chaff, it appears to me that Sen. Peters' view of appropriate possession is:

- "Rightful owners". Using the modification of "rightful" implies to me that he means the awarded service-member or family

- Museum

- Local veterans history organization (?)

I don't sense any lease for private collectors there. Bottom line, it's all wild speculation until something actually happens - if indeed it ever does. If it does make it to a vote, I'm not real optimistic on outcome - though I don't generally tend to be. :)

Here is the response I received back from Senator Gary Peters (D-MI) on HR 6234. It appears he actually read my letter as I got a more detailed response.

"Thank you for contacting me about military awards and decorations. I appreciate you taking the time to express your views. Your input is, and will always be, welcomed and appreciated.

As a former Lieutenant Commander in the U.S. Navy Reserve and the son of a World War II veteran, I share your belief that we have a solemn duty to honor our nations military servicemembers. It is important to preserve our military heritage for future generations by honoring those who have bravely served and defended our freedom during times of war. The presentation of military medals and decorations, such as the Purple Heart, is one way to honor their legacy and to express gratitude for the sacrifices faced by servicemembers and their families in service of our country.

Legislation has been introduced in the House of Representatives called the Private Corrado Piccoli Purple Heart Preservation Act that would prohibit the private sale of Purple Hearts and other medals awarded to military servicemembers. It is unfortunate these tokens of gratitude are sometimes lost or stolen from servicemembers and their families. These medals of valor should be returned to the care of their rightful owners or otherwise kept in a way that honors their value, including at a museum or a local veterans history organization. This legislation was referred to the House Judiciary Committee for further consideration. There has been no companion legislation introduced in the Senate, but I will be sure to keep your views in mind should this legislation come to the Senate floor for a vote.

Standing up for our nations servicemembers will remain one of my top priorities. Thank you again for contacting me. I always enjoy hearing from you and hope that you take the time to contact me again soon. For more information, please feel free to visit my website, http://www.peters.senate.gov "

If anyone else has received a response back please post it to this thread.

Pete

uniformcollector

I was sent word by a forum member today...the Bill will not make this session but will be reintroduced next session.

Glad to hear that! A friend of mine was just elected to the house and is a veteran himself. I'll be sure to let him know. If even one more person hears our point of view, that's one more step towards progress!

oldradiostuff

I have to weigh in here.

First, I oppose this bill as I think it is an infringement on basic private property rights and will not have the intended effect. I collect US military medals and this would have a devastating effect on the hobby for me.

My wife and I have been very involved in political campaigns for almost 40 years. I speak from a lot of experience dealing with politicians.

I think this bill will pass easily (perhaps even unanimously) in both Houses of Congress and will be signed into law.

Step back, look, and think: this bill has the IMAGE of preserving the honor and the recognition of sacrifice of our service veterans. Who is going to vote AGAINST that? No one, that's who. Voting against it would provide ample fodder for a political opponent in an election ("can you believe my opponent opposed a proposed law that would protect our veterans from losing the awards given in recognition of their sacrifice").

The letters requesting the bill be killed are likely solidifying more support for the bill, reinforcing the image of the insensitive, greedy, collectors who profit by the losses of our veterans. I can almost assure you that the stories of collectors returning medals to families are being dismissed as aberrations and are likely given little consideration. The IMAGE of this bill is so strong that I think there is very little chance of actively killing it (although it could die from neglect, but that seems unlikely given the author seems to be totally committed to it).

I really think the best hope here to try to get the bill amended to make allowances for the private collection of these medals. I don't have a great suggestion, but I think it should be discussed. In the firearms world, many guns over 50 years old are classified as "curios and relics" and have more lenient possession regulations - perhaps something like this that recognizes that at some point in time, the original recipient and immediate family will all be gone, and then their medals can be passed outside the family. Or a mechanism for the family to approve the transfer to someone. There needs to be some brainstorming on this issue.

In summary, I think if our only position is that this bill must die, then we are going to lose, and it's going to be catastrophic for the militaria collecting hobby. There is going to be nothing attractive to a politician about opposing this bill outright. Compromise is the name of their game, and they may be very willing to amend this in a way that protects all the interests involved.

Please don't shoot the messenger.

Dave

I have to weigh in here.

First, I oppose this bill as I think it is an infringement on basic private property rights and will not have the intended effect. I collect US military medals and this would have a devastating effect on the hobby for me.

My wife and I have been very involved in political campaigns for almost 40 years. I speak from a lot of experience dealing with politicians.

I think this bill will pass easily (perhaps even unanimously) in both Houses of Congress and will be signed into law.

Step back, look, and think: this bill has the IMAGE of preserving the honor and the recognition of sacrifice of our service veterans. Who is going to vote AGAINST that? No one, that's who. Voting against it would provide ample fodder for a political opponent in an election ("can you believe my opponent opposed a proposed law that would protect our veterans from losing the awards given in recognition of their sacrifice").

The letters requesting the bill be killed are likely solidifying more support for the bill, reinforcing the image of the insensitive, greedy, collectors who profit by the losses of our veterans. I can almost assure you that the stories of collectors returning medals to families are being dismissed as aberrations and are likely given little consideration. The IMAGE of this bill is so strong that I think there is very little chance of actively killing it (although it could die from neglect, but that seems unlikely given the author seems to be totally committed to it).

I really think the best hope here to try to get the bill amended to make allowances for the private collection of these medals. I don't have a great suggestion, but I think it should be discussed. In the firearms world, many guns over 50 years old are classified as "curios and relics" and have more lenient possession regulations - perhaps something like this that recognizes that at some point in time, the original recipient and immediate family will all be gone, and then their medals can be passed outside the family. Or a mechanism for the family to approve the transfer to someone. There needs to be some brainstorming on this issue.

In summary, I think if our only position is that this bill must die, then we are going to lose, and it's going to be catastrophic for the militaria collecting hobby. There is going to be nothing attractive to a politician about opposing this bill outright. Compromise is the name of their game, and they may be very willing to amend this in a way that protects all the interests involved.

Dave

I fear you might be right ! they have the momentum and the false image of collectors as greedy no goods !!!! Compromise or use their own policies against them ? There has to be something we could do ???

I have to weigh in here.

Dave

Dave...I doubt there would be any consideration done by these folks.It all this time they have never tried to mediate anything...I hope I'm wrong.

oldradiostuff

Robert, while I suspect you're correct with respect to the Purple Hearts Reunited (or whatever they're called) group - I wouldn't be so sure that the same would hold true with the politicians. Politicians live to work out compromises. It may be a long shot, but it may be the only shot we have.

Dave

Robert, while I suspect you're correct with respect to the Purple Hearts Reunited (or whatever they're called) group - I wouldn't be so sure that the same would hold true with the politicians. Politicians live to work out compromises. It may be a long shot, but it may be the only shot we have.

Dave

I don't disagree Dave...anything that helps.

If this "law" is created, it will drive collectors underground. Let the free discussion of collecting and selling continue. It provides an open and transparent view of what we do. Which is mostly to preserve history.

Also, no major museum collects these items. They only want Rembrandt and Dali paintings. (And those weird modern art white canvases with a red dot in the middle.)

I see PH prices jumping with this law. Similar to the jump in pricing of MOH medals, when they became illegal to sell.

oldradiostuff

What was the impetus for this bill?

The Purple Hearts Reunited organization wants to stop the buying, selling, and trading of Purple Heart medals. I'm sure they'd like to prohibit the ownership, but probably realized that limitation had already been struck down by the Supreme Court when it ruled on the SVA.

The Purple Hearts Reunited organization wants to stop the buying, selling, and trading of Purple Heart medals. I'm sure they'd like to prohibit the ownership, but probably realized that limitation had already been struck down by the Supreme Court when it ruled on the SVA.

Understanding their motivation, and having a direct conversation with them can probably sort this out.

Understanding their motivation, and having a direct conversation with them can probably sort this out.

I dont really think it that simple, from what i have read here and heard elsewhere the head of the organization Mr Fike is a bullhead and has a personal vendetta against collectors, if he didnt this bill would have never came about! I think it is past the point of speaking with Fike and his organization as they are already dug in on there opinions!