WWII Focke-Wulf Fw 190 Fighter Tail Section Bring-Back

Garandguy56

The last name looks like BR---? I could not wind a William F BR--- in my list of Aerial Victories in WW2.I wonder if it was given to this LtConl by a Fighter Pilot to it was from a wrecked a/c in the area of the HQ?

• 3 months later...

Lt. Col Wm. F. B____________

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like Col.Wm. F. Br.....

If I read it correctly I see APO 758 which aligns with 7th Army Headquarters. Would it be possible to trace a Colonel to 7th Army Headquarters? I realize there were many units that made up 7th Army

Looks like Col. William F Br_tten maybe to me. Britten, Bratten, Brutten...

Hey, good eye! The second line on the inscription is definitely Headquarters, __th Port (perhaps the designation changed between 1944 and 45).

post-5941-0-88829000-1490040977_thumb.jpg

https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=411657

21st Base (Mobile) was attached to the 7th Army...

I think APO 667 was in southern France, with 748 being more northern France, 1945. I'm sure that both would have been aligned to the 7th Army. Thinking he was in the same role in a different Port Headquarters. I didn't do any searching on APO 748, but with some google searching you should get a French city, and from there should be able to find a nearby Port HQ.

Any idea what's written at the very bottom? Below the APO?

Garandguy56

I think APO 667 was in southern France, with 748 being more northern France, 1945. I'm sure that both would have been aligned to the 7th Army. Thinking he was in the same role in a different Port Headquarters. I didn't do any searching on APO 748, but with some google searching you should get a French city, and from there should be able to find a nearby Port HQ.

Any idea what's written at the very bottom? Below the APO?

Mostly illegible. The beginning looks like P.M so maybe post marked (and the date)? Or D.M but not sure what that would mean...

post-125130-0-13614700-1490049731_thumb.jpg

Amazing! I'd buy that for a million dollars!

Of course, you can't sell it, man, that thing's priceless!

• 1 month later...

I am always looking for a "cut tail section". They were common bring backs. I have started to collect photos of German aircraft with the tails cut out, because I just can't get my hands on a real tail.

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

USCapturephotos

Just sent you a message Germantail. I also collect photos of GI's holding cut out tail sections and probably have 10 or so.

Paul

RustyCanteen

Mostly illegible. The beginning looks like P.M so maybe post marked (and the date)? Or D.M but not sure what that would mean...

The "P.M." would stand for 'Postmaster', and in this case would have been part of the man's address. E.g. Name, unit, and then APO 758, PM New York, NY. At least it was probably New York (mail in the Pacific was usually 'PM San Francisco, Calif.' and New York for the ETO.)

RC

• 4 months later...

Just got a new display made for it made in beautiful hardwood with a double-sided plexi viewer for the front and back.

(P.S - I'm looking to sell ;) )

post-125130-0-68741800-1506166930_thumb.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Just got a new display made for it made in beautiful hardwood with a double-sided plexi viewer for the front and back.

(P.S - I'm looking to sell ;) )

That is an awesome display. Great piece of history.

I am always looking for a "cut tail section". They were common bring backs. I have started to collect photos of German aircraft with the tails cut out, because I just can't get my hands on a real tail.

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.

Germantail,

Check out www.virtualgrenadier.com. Mike occasionally has tail sections for sale.

Good luck.

• 1 month later...