Thoughts on the type of batting to use for display cases

DDay29

I want to replace the foam inserts in my wood display cases. I wanted to get some thoughts on what type of batting is best to use for display cases, which are 12" by 18" and larger. I will be covering the batting with unbleached cotton muslin. I found some chemically inert, additive-free polyester batting on the Gaylord Archival website (see link) and wanted to get some opinions if this is a good option. Also, is cotton muslin a good choice to use to cover the batting? Thanks in advance.

http://www.gaylord.com/Preservation/Artifact-%26-Collectibles-Preservation/Labeling-%26-Supplies/1%22-Polyester-Batting-%2818-yds-%29/p/POLYBAT2

trenchrat1918

Muslin is a good choice to cover your batting if that is the way you want to go. Another alternative is a material call Plastazote which is a closed cell polyethylene foam. Platazote is inert, UV resistant and does not off gas so it works well for long term storage. It can be ordered in sheets or rolls so it is easily adaptable. You can cut it and mold it to the shape you need.

I know there are some museum professionals on the forum so I hope they will weigh in, I would really like to hear their opinion on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...