WWI (circa 1917) GCM gold embroidered example.

aerialbridge

I've done searches and after about 30 minutes, haven't been able to find one. Would one of you patch guys mind posting scan examples or links to the patches for what the different uniform chief gunner's mate examples for a 12 year good conduct sailor would look like? Also appreciate an idea on a reasonable cost range you could expect to buy one of these in good, undamaged condition for blue or white uniforms.

I don't believe there is a gold version for the white uniform from that period. If this is the case, maybe $15-30 for blue chevron on white.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't believe there is a gold version for the white uniform from that period. If this is the case, maybe $15-30 for blue chevron on white. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

David, Thanks for not just looking at this post but taking a minute to respond and help me out, since I don't know a WW2 Chief Gunners Mate rate patch from what one looked like in 1917. Perhaps one day I will and then I might try to buy one. Thanks again.

David, Thanks for not just looking at this post but taking a minute to respond and help me out, since I don't know a WW2 Chief Gunners Mate rate patch from what one looked like in 1917. Perhaps one day I will and then I might try to buy one. Thanks again.

Follows is an example from my collection. I bought mine on eBay; they appear a few times per year. They are easy to differentiate from WWII samples by the lean of the eagle, and the blue tint of the thread and chevrons (WWII are more black). WWI era tend to be uncut, while WWII almost always are sewn to match the lines of the chevrons, so uncut will most likely be pre-WWII.

In 1948 the eagle was reversed (to face left) so these are easy to avoid.

As a note, I have rates produced no later than 1914 (red chevron on white) through ratings that were not created until the 1920s, and the eagles all look like this, so I think it is safe to say that any eagle that looks like this would pass for WWI era.

post-132988-0-31249000-1481565618_thumb.jpg

Here is another sample from my collection. The red chevrons indicate it was made between 1905 and 1914 (if I recall correctly). You will note the similar style of the eagle to the blue chevron sample above.

post-132988-0-95751000-1481566405_thumb.jpg

David, thanks very much for posting those examples and your expertise so I know what to look for. Those are beautiful crows. If I can ever return the favor and look anything up on ancestry.com for you, don't hesitate to send me a PM. Best regards, AB.

I couldn't find a picture of a gold/silver rating badge from the WW1 period, but here are a couple that show an embroidery style typical for WW1-era eagles:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29889-spectacular-bullion-navy-rates/?p=1052748

Here is a gold CGM, but probably later than WW1:
Good luck in your search!
Justin B.

I couldn't find a picture of a gold/silver rating badge from the WW1 period, but here are a couple that show an embroidery style typical for WW1-era eagles:

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/29889-spectacular-bullion-navy-rates/?p=1052748

Here is a gold CGM, but probably later than WW1:
Good luck in your search!
Justin B.

Hey Justin, Thanks very much for your time to post those examples. That last one you posted is exactly what I'd like to find. Do you know when the gold chevrons came out for chiefs with 12 years of no njp? In case you don't have ancestry, if I can ever help you out and look up anybody let me know. Best regards, AB

Do you know when the gold chevrons came out for chiefs with 12 years of no njp? In case you don't have ancestry, if I can ever help you out and look up anybody let me know. Best regards, AB

Thanks! The gold stripes were first authorized in the Uniform Regulations of 1886 for those with three consecutive Good Conduct Medals. The silver-embroidered eagles and specialty marks were worn early on, too, but were not officially approved until 1913.

Justin B.

Thanks! The gold stripes were first authorized in the Uniform Regulations of 1886 for those with three consecutive Good Conduct Medals. The silver-embroidered eagles and specialty marks were worn early on, too, but were not officially approved until 1913.

Justin B.

Thanks, Justin! I didn't realize they needed three consec. GCMS- I had thought it was just 12 straight years of no nonjudicial punishment but with no minimum requirement on performance marks.

Just a note, Gold chevrons on white did not come about until the (IIRC) Late 1970s,Early 2980s we CPOs were authorized the Dinner Dress white Jacket