AEF Vehicle insignia

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

An ammunition truck belonging to the Ammunition train of the 90th Division. Note the 90th's "TO" - 'Texas & Oklahoma' or 'Tough Ombres" insignia on the side panel. Next to it is presumably the insignia that was used by the division's ammunition train.

post-5143-0-56558600-1537640661_thumb.jpg

Jag & David D, excellent additions! The 104th ration cart insignia is superb. any Idea where it was located on the cart … side, rear, etc?

This stateside Army motorcycle & sidecar is emblazoned with the insignia of the Aviation Section of the Signal Corps.

Thanks, It is my understanding that it was hung on the rear of the cart. I have yet to find a photo with it visible on a cart being most photos are of the front and or side.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
world war I nerd

1st Division staff car, and probably, it's driver, Germany, 1919.

Photo courtesy of the JB collection

post-5143-0-94085200-1553363750_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Close up of the 1st Division insignia surrounded by a wreath on the vehicle's side and behind the wind screen.

Photo courtesy of the JB collection.

post-5143-0-52628100-1553363862_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
world war I nerd

Simonmon ... great AEF vehicle shots! Especially the District of Paris marked sidecar. I remember both of those from eBay. Congrats on being the high-winner on bot of those and thanks for posting them here.

• 2 months later...
world war I nerd

26th Division's "YD" monogram painted on the side of the water cart at the far left of this Yankee Division field kitchen photo. There's probably a sub-unit insignia defining the regiment to which the kitchen belongs somewhere on the water cart, but it's just not visible in this image.

post-5143-0-84995200-1568566674_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

popping this up....great pictures, especially the Harley's and Indians! ❤

anyone come across American bicycle photos? I've been looking for period photos of the Columbia military bicycle. Would bicycles have been marked in any way? Unofficially or officially?

• 4 months later...
On 12/11/2016 at 4:07 PM, world war I nerd said:

Photo No. 17: At the time of writing I’m not entirely sure if the initials ‘A’ & ‘S’ on the cab of this heavy truck signify that it belongs to the U.S. Army or AEF “Air Service” or if the initials represent something entirely different. Does anybody know?

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-93082600-1481468815_thumb.jpg

ARTILLERIE SPECIALE??? ( Tank Corps)