AEF Vehicle insignia

world war I nerd

A shot of a couple of vehicles in a 26th Division maintenance yard. In the rear is a British 3 ton truck showing the Divisional QM insignia. The vehicle in the foreground is an M1917 Ford Ambulance as used by the 101st Machine Gun Battalion to transport their Hotchkiss machine guns. The red cross markings have been painted over and replaced with a "YD" on the side doors, and a company letter (in this case a "B") on the body.

post-171351-0-05875400-1506294886_thumb.jpg

Another 26th Division Truck showing a better view of the un-identified marking. I believe this is another Company marking for the 101st supply train.

post-171351-0-21862700-1506301768_thumb.jpg

Great photos. Nothing I've seen before. I used to own a photo of a 101st engineers wagon. I sold it to a friend though. I'll see if I still have a scan to post here.

I think I'm that friend lol!

world war I nerd

yd102 great stuff! It's nice to see some more Yankee Division marked vehicles and the shot of the 92nd Division truck is great.

Thanks for adding the images ...

Thanks- what great set of photos. My only addition would be that photo #4 is of the First Division. I inherited a Studebaker 1917 water cart "parts kit" like the cart in the picture. Will I ever be able to restore it?

Thanks- what great set of photos. My only addition would be that photo #4 is of the First Division. I inherited a Studebaker 1917 water cart "parts kit" like the cart in the picture. Will I ever be able to restore it?

illinigander, I would love to restore it if your not interested. I've done a few WW1 vehicle projects.

post-171351-0-94428200-1506701345_thumb.jpg

Another one I restored, machine gun cart:

post-171351-0-05461400-1506701619_thumb.jpg

• 3 months later...

Late to the party....but here is truck #6 from Company D, 110th Ammunition Train, 35th Division. The insignia for the unit is 3 maroon quarters/1 white quarter, preceded by D6.

post-161252-0-01368100-1514613811_thumb.jpg

Sorry this one's low res, but maybe someone can still ID this unknown heavy truck insignia?

This truck also has the initials "AS", which I initially thought might be connected to the Air Service. Now I'm not so sure ... Does anybody know?

The "AS" is indeed for Air Service, this truck and the one you posted earlier are I believe what is known as an"Aviation Light". The Air Service had trucks made to their own specifications, both an Aviation Light and an Aviation Heav7.

Unknown vehicle type. Stencil reads " U.S. QM CORPS". Photo of men from the 134th Infantry, 34th Division, Camp Cody.

The vehicle in this photo is what is called a Combat Wagon.

An unmarked MG cart bearing a 4th Division marked MG Chest - photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

The fact that these guys are wearing campaign hats, and that the MG cart is for a 1917 Browning guarantees this image is post war. Probably the one posted after it as well, since the 4th was not wearing campaign hats in France before the Division Insignia was adopted.

world war I nerd

YD102 et all,

It looks (to me) as if the as yet unidentified emblem painted on the side of the 26th Division heavy trucks depicted in post No. 199 on the previous page is a cartoon rendering of the head & shoulders of an American soldier wearing a Campaign Hat ... not an animal as YD102 suggested.

Take a look at the enlarged close up below. What do you all think?

post-5143-0-89795800-1514832315_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

At first, I thought the emblem painted on the gas tank of this motorcycle & on the front cowling of the sidecar was a unit marking. It was not.

As it turned out it's the motorcycle manufacturer's logo. In this case, the logo belongs to the Excelsior Motor Manufacturing & Supply Company located in Chicago.

After Harley Davidson & Indian, Excelsior was the third largest supplier of motorcycles to the U.S. Army during WW I.

Photo courtesy of the National World War I Museum

post-5143-0-41633100-1514832787_thumb.jpg

YD102 et all,

It looks (to me) as if the as yet unidentified emblem painted on the side of the 26th Division heavy trucks depicted in post No. 199 on the previous page is a cartoon rendering of the head & shoulders of an American soldier wearing a Campaign Hat ... not an animal as YD102 suggested.

I can see what your talking about. To me I see the side view of a soldier with a campaign hat on.

YD102 et all,

It could be. This is the only image I've been able to find of that particular insignia. Not sure which sub unit these guys belonged to, nor have I ever seen that insignia in anything else related to the 26th.

The insignia on this truck I was able to confirm is for one of the companies of the 101st Supply Train. Which one is unknown, but the insignia is the Liberty Bell.post-171351-0-75618500-1514861108_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...

British 3 ton trucks belonging to the 101st Supply Train, note the Anchor marking on the Cowl. This is another Company marking of the 101st ST, but which one is not known at this time.

attachicon.gif2017-08-16 (17).png.jpg

I've been able to confirm that the anchor insignia on these trucks is for Company B of the 101st Supply Train.

world war I nerd

yd102, Wow! What a pair of great photos & vehicle markings.

Am I crazy, or in the 82nd Div. photo, does the Doughboy on the far right have a meat can pouch hanging from his belt?

Also, is the man to his immediate left wearing a Red Cross brassard or a brassard bearing some other motif???

One last observation ... The guy holding up the end of the stretcher appears to have a German water bottle/canteen suspended from the left side of his pistol belt.