AEF Vehicle insignia

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I just noticed that the 101st Engineer's logo is also painted on the front of the wagon. It's just to the left of the center, standing soldier's hand.

world war I nerd

Sorry this one's low res, but maybe someone can still ID this unknown heavy truck insignia?

This truck also has the initials "AS", which I initially thought might be connected to the Air Service. Now I'm not so sure ... Does anybody know?

post-5143-0-48527100-1481794887_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

An ambulance, minus the medical caduceus symbol labeled, "American Military Hospital ..." It also bears the numeral "19" above the red cross insignia. To what organization did this ambulance belong?

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-75335100-1481795460_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Not sure if the "U.S.A. - 6" headlight marking qualifies as an insignia or not, but IMO it's unusual enough to warrant posting.

Photo courtesy of the John Adams Graf collection

post-5143-0-56654800-1481795634_thumb.jpg

An even lower-res image of an ambulance with an unknown insignia ... Does anybody recognize this insignia?

I bought this image and the one above at the same time. To me, the image looked like a variation of the Rolling W of the 89th Division. I'll take a look at the originals and see if I can enlarge the insignia.

On a side note, I find it interesting to see how the size of the Red Cross varies on the different ambulances shown in this thread.

world war I nerd

Erick, the insignia reminded me of the 89th Division's 'Rolling W' also, but the resolution was such that I couldn't quite make it out with any degree of certainty. Thanks for checking and letting us know for sure. You bring up an interesting point in regard to the size of the red cross insignia on ambulances ... something I hadn't noticed or thought about before.

Sorry this one's low res, but maybe someone can still ID this unknown heavy truck insignia?

This truck also has the initials "AS", which I initially thought might be connected to the Air Service. Now I'm not so sure ... Does anybody know?

Indeed, the acronym "AS" was mostly associated with the Air Service; It could still be so.

I don't recognize it as belonging to an aero squadron, which has me guessing maybe a support unit such an aviation mechanic's regiment. I have never documented any personalized AS mechanic's insignia, so it's totally hypothetical on my end.

There's something written on the engine hood. Can you make it out? I don't know if it's wording followed by a set of digits, or my eyes are still blurry from working all night.

RE: the symbol in post #104 - don't laugh, but I see a Panda...much more so with the zoomed out image.

RE: post #105 - that looks like the #3, or the tail end of a set of digits. Note how the other trucks have similar markings in about the same position. Maybe they're fleet numbers?

John - I wanted to take a moment to say "thanks!" for posting that Tank Corps information. Anybody who's been in the hobby for a while would agree such information is obscure (at best).

Brian - Thank you very much for starting another fascinating discussion. I might have other images to contribute soon. I'm going to dig a little deeper into my aviation files...

-Chuck

An unidentified MTC(?) unit with an unusual marking on the truck bed. Unfortunately, the original isn't much clearer when I zoom in on that insignia.

-Chuck

post-518-0-81936900-1481824920_thumb.jpg

post-518-0-47337300-1481824943.jpg

Dear ALL: RE: Image #98 161 Aero Sqdn. I have an image of exact same car in same location but only a driver on board. I agree the image on car and building are full body clowns, but they are slightly different, and both are different from the "Official" 161 Sqdn clown with ruffled collar and no body....I guess even then clowns were scary and confusing..... Steve McG.

Dear ALL: RE: Image #98 161 Aero Sqdn. I have an image of exact same car in same location but only a driver on board. I agree the image on car and building are full body clowns, but they are slightly different, and both are different from the "Official" 161 Sqdn clown with ruffled collar and no body....I guess even then clowns were scary and confusing..... Steve McG.

Keep in mind those were concept drawings (that 161st AS clown bust & others like it) which were first published by the National Geographic in 1919 (I believe). Though most of those submissions were spot on when compared to the actual painted insignias, I'm sure there were some variances.

world war I nerd

Heading back to low-res-land, here's an unusual wagon/cart with a 29th Division insignia that's also marked "V. 5". Presumably the vehicle hauled some sort of liquid that I'm guessing was not water. Anybody know what this wagon was used for and what the "V. 5" marking represents?

post-5143-0-59740700-1482045327_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

An early Army motorized truck circa 1907 - 1910 with stenciling on its side. The marking reads "Quartermaster N.G.P. No. ..." What do the initials "N.G.P." signify?

post-5143-0-05310900-1482045563_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Another Mack dump truck with an engineer's castle painted on the side. Above the castle is an oversized numeral "17" ... possibly 17th Engineer Regiment?

Photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-36811100-1482045770_thumb.jpg

An early Army motorized truck circa 1907 - 1910 with stenciling on its side. The marking reads "Quartermaster N.G.P. No. ..." What do the initials "N.G.P." signify?

Brian, N.G.P. stands for National Guard Pennsylvania. Not sure when they switched it to Pennsylvania National Guard.

I bought this image and the one above at the same time. To me, the image looked like a variation of the Rolling W of the 89th Division. I'll take a look at the originals and see if I can enlarge the insignia.

On a side note, I find it interesting to see how the size of the Red Cross varies on the different ambulances shown in this thread.

Here is a more clear close-up of the insignia. Definitely the rolling W of the 89th with a cross at the bottom.

post-203-0-95593800-1482121457.jpg

world war I nerd

Chuck Thomas noticed this image of a light truck with an unidentified insignia on the door & windshield occupied by a pair of AEF soldiers on Ebay.

Any ideas about the insignia?

Also, is the vehicle US made? Or could the truck have been "liberated" from the German Army; thus making the marking German?

post-5143-0-70953800-1482204097_thumb.jpg

Johan Willaert

Heading back to low-res-land, here's an unusual wagon/cart with a 29th Division insignia that's also marked "V. 5". Presumably the vehicle hauled some sort of liquid that I'm guessing was not water. Anybody know what this wagon was used for and what the "V. 5" marking represents?

Don't really know the answer, but could this have carried on throughout WW2? Here's a picture of the V3 marking on the windshield on a Jeep of the 29th's 110th Field Artillery late in WW2?? I've been searching for a very long time to find out about this...

post-92-0-55426700-1482242748_thumb.jpg

Also, is the vehicle US made? Or could the truck have been "liberated" from the German Army; thus making the marking German?

It's a Model T Ford, so definitely US.

world war I nerd

Another Mack truck, this time a flatbed with the Engineer's castle on the side ... photo courtesy of the John Adams-Graf collection

post-5143-0-89465900-1482813468_thumb.jpg