Niner Alpha

WWI helmet that isn't ordinary

What attracted me to this is that I run a website for the 6th battalion of the 31st Infantry. This helmet that recently sold on ebay is advertised as Co. K 31st Infantry with the painted markings saying so along with a mysterious. M.S.T. What's said is WWI 31st Infantry with "rare" BB7 liner. The 31st was on the Siberian expedition after the war was over but didn't fight in the actual World War. The most mysterious thing to me is the way the liner is attached to the helmet. There are welded hangers in multiple places that no other military hat of that vintage has...at least as I can find on the internet.

I think it may be some kind of civilian construction helmet. Anybody ever heard of a rare "BB7" liner ? Anybody think this is "real"? I didn't even bid on it so somebody who bought it either did really good or they made a big , but not real costly, mistake.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/201738901408?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Check out the B.F.Mcdonald Company Civil Defense helmets. Circa WWII.

Yeah, those should have a sticker inside with the manufacturer's information on it....That was likely removed..Would be possible for a CD helmet to be pressed into military service....Bodes

Bingo on the McDonald suspect.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-US-WWII-CIVILIAN-DEFENSE-AIR-RAID-WARDEN-STEEL-McDONALD-CO-HELMET-/291953964360?hash=item43f9cff548

The 31st never worked within the continental US until late 20th Century. They wouldn't have ever likely to have needed a civilian Air Raid Warden helmet.

post-6574-0-87674400-1481401776_thumb.jpg

Not Federal. "M.S.T." is probably for Michigan, Montana, Maryland, Maine, Massachusetts or Mississippi State Troops.