PLASTIC SGT / AIC STRIPES

firefighter

Unusual pair of rank pins. Everything right down to the pins are plastic. Not sure if these were prototypes, theater made, or what?

Posted ImagePosted Image

The first time I see this version.

I'm sure they are prototypes.

I have a lot of USMC rank insignia made in plastic made in 1988 - 1991.

The pins will break fast.

Hope you will find more information.

Michael

Thank you Michael. I put AIC because I thought they may have been 70s.

In the 70's , they would be Sergeant. Prior to October 1967, three stripes would be for Airman First Class. I believe they became Senior Airman in the early 1990's.

In the 70's , they would be Sergeant. Prior to October 1967, three stripes would be for Airman First Class. I believe they became Senior Airman in the early 1990's.

SRA was actually early 80's, maybe late 70's.I was a SRA in '84.

• 1 month later...

These are sergeant or airman first class stripes from the late 60s. Senior Airman, until the rank insignia changed in 1992, wore chevrons with blue stars.

Most likely, these are rank insignia from the 1960s -- probably Strategic Air Command -- worn on baseball/fatigue caps and used on the flight line. missiles, or anywhere else where foreign object damage or static electric would hazardous.

These are sergeant or airman first class stripes from the late 60s. Senior Airman, until the rank insignia changed in 1992, wore chevrons with blue stars.

Most likely, these are rank insignia from the 1960s -- probably Strategic Air Command -- worn on baseball/fatigue caps and used on the flight line. missiles, or anywhere else where foreign object damage or static electric would hazardous.

Thank you.That makes sense.I know they would be either A1C or SGT, in my title :) I know SRA was in the 80s when E-4 was SRA(Airman)(NO STAR) & SGT(NCO)(STAR).Then changed to just SRA in the late 80s/early 90s.

I was in SAC from 1966-1970 and never saw any of these plastic pin-on rank. The metal versions were in use but only on cooks or hospital whites. We were not supposed to wear them on fatigue caps. But... things could have been different on other bases and in other commands. Sometimes things like that were at the option of the local commander. Just FYI.

In 1967, the Air Force (specifically General McConnell) directed a review of affixing rank insignia to the nylon rain coat. The study involved the Air Force Uniform Laboratory at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

The plastic stripes in question were approved 4 December 1970 by the Air Force Uniform Board -- mostly as a rank insignia for rain coats. The regulation was expanded to include what they used the call the blue windbreaker jacket and utility shirts.

Plastic chevrons were worn exclusively for about nine months. On 21 September 1971, the Uniform Board recommended further testing of the plastic and metal rank insignia, broadening the use to men and women's rain coats, the overcoat or top coat and organizational white uniforms.

Then on 23 August 1974, Gen. David Jones approved the wear of metal rank insignia -- but at the same time said that he preferred that the cloth chevrons be worn when ever possible. That ended a seven-year debate about plastic over metal.

I found several links to various histories but I can't seem to post them here.

In 1967, the Air Force (specifically General McConnell) directed a review of affixing rank insignia to the nylon rain coat. The study involved the Air Force Uniform Laboratory at Wright-Patterson AFB, Ohio

The plastic stripes in question were approved 4 December 1970 by the Air Force Uniform Board -- mostly as a rank insignia for rain coats. The regulation was expanded to include what they used the call the blue windbreaker jacket and utility shirts.

Plastic chevrons were worn exclusively for about nine months. On 21 September 1971, the Uniform Board recommended further testing of the plastic and metal rank insignia, broadening the use to men and women's rain coats, the overcoat or top coat and organizational white uniforms.

Then on 23 August 1974, Gen. David Jones approved the wear of metal rank insignia -- but at the same time said that he preferred that the cloth chevrons be worn when ever possible. That ended a seven-year debate about plastic over metal.

I found several links to various histories but I can't seem to post them here.

​You FLYBOY.That is pretty interesting.I wonder if they made them from E-2 thru E-9, E-1 being a Barely Airman and no insignia?

I would suspect so because the Senior and Chief Master Sergeant ranks (E-8 and E-9) were approved with the Military Pay Act of 1958.

Thanx also to Lee for his imput about SAC.