HELP PLEASE ID OFFICER SUB DOLPHINS

Bellumbill

Hello All - By ID I meant date the pins, clearly there is name right on it! :) Capt. Broussard (USNA 1926) won a Silver Star as XO of the USS Houston during the Battle of Formosa - at some point he was sub qualified but haven't found any info as I can't pull his records for another year and half (he retired a RADM in 1956). Ned Beach was once asked who influenced him the most during his navy career - Beach said of Broussard - "I would put it to four people. Perhaps the first is my skipper on this old destroyer, USS Lea (DD 118). His name was Clarence Broussard, and he could run a ship beautifully. I became kind of a son to him and he a father figure to me. I had no idea he was a submariner, but when I left the ship to report to submarine school, he appeared in full uniform with a submarine pin on his jacket -- for me."

These are off a WWII dated uniform but the officer served until 1956 so I am trying to see what era these may be. I looked through everything I could find on the forum here but haven't found any that match mine.

The hallmark is "Vanguard" and looks like a number below it but hard to see, at least with my old eyes. I think I can definitely discern a "5" in there but cannot tell if the impressions on either side of it are numbers or just part of the pressing. In any case, they certainly don't look like any of the Vanguard hallmark's I have seen. Any help would be appreciated.

Very best,

Bill K.

post-661-0-84942500-1481315248_thumb.jpg

post-661-0-82000900-1481315262_thumb.jpg

at some point he was sub qualified but haven't found any info as I can't pull his records for another year and half (he retired a RADM in 1956).

He was on the USS S-41

Register of the commissioned and warrant officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps : January 1, 1930.

post-109234-0-21052500-1481320656_thumb.jpg

Register of the commissioned and warrant officers of the United States Navy and Marine Corps : January 1, 1931.

post-109234-0-45608800-1481320665_thumb.jpg

Guys, THANK YOU so much! As far as the sub qual badge, I am sure you are correct - I suspected it wasn't WWII either BUT the interesting thing is the jacket is dated 1943 and none of the ribbons are post WWII - Not saying he couldn't have added the dolphins later just for the heck of it or because he perhaps lost he original set though, just a bit surprised. I may purchase a WWII era badge to put on the jacket but not sure yet.

Zsmith thanks for the info! Where did you find that?

Very best,

Bill