Desert BDU's (6 color) elbow and knee pleats

pawtwo

Hello,

It was probably mentioned earlier but when exactly 6 color DBDU's without elbow and knee pleats became available? I remember reading somewhere that these apeared after Desert Storm and after cease fire or even some troops got these when going back home. So these weren't in use during Desert Storm at all.

These usually have FY1990 contract dates.

Can anyone confirm?

Best Regards

Paul

Earliest I've seen was 1990. Contract dates on desert BDU seems 1981/83/84/86 then big jump to 1990/91 , there's also 3 colour being put out at 1989 in M65 & armour covers.

It would make sense 1990 as was rush production so fancy well made went out of the window for quick production. You'll also find 90/91 also had poor print too that quickly faded rather than like early stuff that had a real bite to the material.

Anyone can confirm if soldiers deploying in January 1991 to the Persian Gulf got this newer - simpler version of uniform? Or these became available later?

Anyone can confirm if soldiers deploying in January 1991 to the Persian Gulf got this newer - simpler version of uniform? Or these became available later?

When I went to Saudi in June 1991, we had the "newer" ones. Guys in my section that were just coming back had the older, reinforced desert BDUs.

I also remember that we got the desert BDUs while we were in theater.