A tribute G1 jacket for 90 year old dad

SteveZ

10639606_1188303701199788_41868756809589

A tribute jacket I spent months piecing together to honor my dad.

CDR. AUSTIN L. ZICHT USN Ret. 1946 - 1972 Commanding officer, VP- 18 1966-1967 , Roosevelt Roads Naval Air Station, Puerto Rico. Lockheed P2V-7 Neptune Airborne Submarine Destroyer. TWO TURNING AND TWO BURNING !! Check out the patches.

There were two type VP-18 squadron patches. VP-18 ( 1945-1964 @ NAS JACKSONVILLE ) used a red, black and white patch. In early 1965 the NAVY moved the squadron to NAS ROOSEVELT ROADS in Puerto Rico. The 65 squadron CO elected to change the insignia colors to light blue and gold and that design remained until the unit was decommissioned in late 68. The later patch is extremely rare. Not many squadron members bought the patch for jackets in that hot weather. I've never seen a real one myself. You find one, you hit the jackpot !

So I found a web site that sold vinyl decals of many squadrons. I purchased a decal in the size of the one you see above and took it to a local emblem maker ( I live in Virginia Beach near NAS OCEANA ) and he made me a newer style JET INK replica of the decal. It was made in 3 separate pieces. Center and an upper and lower rocker. My tailor simply did a great sewing job to make it look like a single patch. NOW YOU KNOW !

Steve,

Thanks for the great explanation on the patch design. Some really nice work!!

I am also in Va. Beach, so welcome aboard. I recently found this VP-18 Crew One Stein in a local antique shop. This one is the older patch style and dates to around 1959 I believe.

Chris

post-10825-0-34046100-1481204716_thumb.jpeg

Chris, the co pilot on the mug, Lcdr Carneghi , was the 1965 VP-18 CO ! He was the one who changed the colors on the Flying Phantoms logo when the unit was moved to Roosevelt Roads.

CDR. Robert Deffenbaugh was the next CO in 1966

CDR Austin L. Zicht was the 1967 skipper ( my dad )

CDR Robert Wagner was the last Co until deactivation in 1968. Later he became CO of NAS GUAM.

An interesting note, a young LTJG in my dads squadron just recently retired as a REAR ADMIRAL. Peter Cressey NATAPS Director

Chris, you prior service yourself ?

Steve,

I am retired Navy. I was an aviation CPO in Helicopters, A-6s, and F-14s. Retired in 2001 from VF-211 at NAS Oceana. How about you?

Chris

Steve,

That is a fantastic jacket. Are you displaying or wearing it? I miss living near a navy base that had real tailors and craftsmen who could create, sew, repair etc. like this. I live a 20 mins north of one of the largest army/af bases and the tailors look at you cross-eyed when you try to get patches sewn on anything other than ABU/ACU, not to mention the absolute absence of anything USMC/USN in thrift/surplus.

Have you thought about getting that VP-18 patch crafted in leather?

No other work on the jacket.

I was going to pass it on to a nephew that is presently in flight college. It will go to him when he graduates.I wear the jacket on occasion and when I go to local cafe's and shopping malls, it starts a few conversations. One guy gave me a bunch of crap about me wearing it. Thought I was trying to impersonate my dad when I told him who the coat represented. ( turns out the guy never served a day in his life ) Go figure ! I was US AIR FORCE 1970 to 1980 and was later an aircrew man after cross training. ( AFSC 3ABR60730 Aircraft Loadmaster ) I originally applied for a Tail Gunner / Stinger position in the B-52 ( BUFF ) but I could never get in the school at the time.

My kid sister lives in Tacoma and is a lawyer with her own practice. She used to be a circuit judge !! Steve

Cris, we must get together sometime for coffee. I live in London Bridge area. Did you know a Master Chief with the name Fortuna ?

Cris, we must get together sometime for coffee. I live in London Bridge area. Did you know a Master Chief with the name Fortuna ?

I remember a guy named Bill Fortuna in some of the other A-6 squadrons. I think he might have been in VA-34 if I remember correctly. PM me, I am close too London Bridge.

Chris

• 1 month later...

I was reading the VP Navy website and Capt Carneghi gives credit to Walt Honour as the skipper who made the color change on the patches. copied from the VP Navy site.

...Noticed the old red, white and black logo is the only one showing. Back in the 1960 era, Walt Honour was skipper and he changed the color scheme to light blue, gold and black. Wish I had a picture but no luck..." Contributed by CAPT. Al Carneghi [email protected] [16FEB99]