1910 Canteen Cover - Dated

gitana

I thought I'd share this one. I know that the turnbuckle covers are earlier, but apparently they're both dated 1910.

This one is a square-flap eagle snap cover with the faint, but clear, stamp of 'R.I.A. 1910'.

post-14792-0-32526700-1481052183_thumb.jpg

gitana,

That is the first actual example I have ever seen. Awesome...and thanks for posting it...

TR

I thought this example was dated 1911-1912, but the date stamp seems to put it earlier. It would be interesting to find out exactly when the turnbuckle version was replaced, and why.

I thought this example was dated 1911-1912, but the date stamp seems to put it earlier. It would be interesting to find out exactly when the turnbuckle version was replaced, and why.

gitana,

"In an October 1910 letter from R.I.A. to the War Dept., permission

was requested to replace the turn buckle fastener with

the “Carr Fastener”. The Eagle Snap fasteners started to be

used in production in late 1910, anticipating the approval from

the Ordinance department. In a letter dated 12 April 1911

from the commanding officer of the ordinance department, the

discontinued use of the turnbuckle fastener and its replacement

with the Carr Eagle snap was approved."

Pep

Thanks Pep. Is that information you've gathered, or from the 'guru' of Canteens? Either way, it answers the question. I hadn't realized that these were specifically dated.

I keep waiting for the definitive book on the 1910 Canteen, Cup, and Cover

Thanks Pep. Is that information you've gathered, or from the 'guru' of Canteens? Either way, it answers the question. I hadn't realized that these were specifically dated.

I keep waiting for the definitive book on the 1910 Canteen, Cup, and Cover

Years of research with help from others on this forum. Many papers and drawings from the national archives.

gitana,

That is the first actual example I have ever seen. Awesome...and thanks for posting it...

TR

Thats a geat set

Thanks for posting

Thanks a lot for the comments, eventually I'll have a nice spot for it to display. Give it another decade and maybe I'll find a turnbuckle to go with it!

The first canteen cover reinforced with leater appeared on posts of that french guy named Smith, identical to this one except for flaps closure. Too bad images was deleted but you can see it as Smith avatar.

• 1 month later...

How long was the turn buckle style in use? Production years? nice canteen sets....

IMHO much less than one year. That includes both patterns of the production turnbuckle cover.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 years later...

I was wondering whether the dates on these early arsenal canteen covers are the year of manufacture, or the fiscal year. 

Pep, you mentioned "The Eagle Snap fasteners started to be used in production in late 1910, anticipating the approval from the Ordinance department."

Do you have a source for that, or is that based on observation of canteen cover dates?  

I ask because if the '1910' printed in the original post was fiscal year, it could have been made in early 1911 and might then better correspond to the official approval of April 1911. 

23 hours ago, gitana said:

I was wondering whether the dates on these early arsenal canteen covers are the year of manufacture, or the fiscal year. 

Pep, you mentioned "The Eagle Snap fasteners started to be used in production in late 1910, anticipating the approval from the Ordinance department."

Do you have a source for that, or is that based on observation of canteen cover dates?  

I ask because if the '1910' printed in the original post was fiscal year, it could have been made in early 1911 and might then better correspond to the official approval of April 1911. 

My source are copies of the actual Arsenal orders sent back an forth from command to the Arsenal.  I had asked the same question about fiscal year/actual year before also.

If I remember correctly a member told me that the year stamp on equipment was the actual production date and not the fiscal date.  I could not find that post though and I can not remember which member answered that question for me.