New Addition from Fellow Member: VN PH to Raven FAC KIA

Gator

This is a recent and happy addition that was previously offered, here on the Forum, by a fellow member. I have been able to do some research since that purchase and wanted to share out of respect to this fallen soldier. May he rest in peace!

Capt John Joseph Bach III entered the United Air Force about 1960 as a navigator cadet. He received his commission as a Second Lieutenant and his navigator wings about a year later. He then attended Electronic Counter Measures school where he became qualified to be a bomber crew member. He then became a member of a B-52 nuclear bomber crew at Clinton-Sherman AFB, Oklahoma in 1961 where he served about 5 years. John had a love for flying and was able to attend Air Force pilot training after his tour on the B-52. He received his pilot wings and then served in the Vietnam War as a pilot of a forward observer plane out of Udorn RTAFB, Thailand. Capt Bach III lost his life after being shot down over Laos in 1969. His name appears on the Vietnam Veterans Memorial wall on panel 26W, row 12.

I was further able to find more specific details on his death from the book, "Who Are Those Guys?" by Thomas Mangan. I am posting that information here for educational purposes only. Lastly I found a photo of him from High School

Thanks in advance

Mark

post-5028-0-23558500-1480965629_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-70378300-1480965635_thumb.jpg

post-5028-0-00897900-1480965645_thumb.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 4 years later...