Leather aviator hat NAF1092-71

Deangreen

I bought this cap at an antiques shop and wonder if it is WW2 era. The tag on the inside says NAF 1092-71 Contract No. N156 S-18359. Any info would be appreciated.

post-115128-0-01491600-1480890150.jpg

post-115128-0-50900800-1480890171.jpg

The flight helmet is a WW2 era USN / USMC skull cap. It should have USN imprints on the back of the cap left had side as you wear the cap. Cap is intermediate type / summer, used by pilots and air crew. It has the harder to find lift the dot type goggle retainers, on he back. Good WW2 era flight cap with the file added ear phone cups.

The flight helmet is a WW2 era USN / USMC skull cap. It should have USN imprint on the back of the cap left hand side as you wear the cap. Cap is intermediate type / summer, used by pilots and air crew. It has the harder to find lift the dot type goggle retainers on the back. Good WW2 era flight cap with the field added ear phone cups.

Love auto correct, fixed couple of spelling errors above

Deangreen,

I concur with what Navybean has told you. The lift-the-dot snaps on the goggle retaining straps were a short-lived, pre-war, feature of these helmets. It was quickly replaced with the simplified strap sewn on both ends for wartime mass production, so you don't see as many surviving examples with the snaps. The suffix to the designation, in this case "71" indicates the size....7 1/4 if I recall correctly. These definitely saw action during the war. See image below of Marine SBD pilots on Midway Island in September of 1942.

Regards, Paul

post-9787-0-01632000-1480894500_thumb.jpg