Female Civil War Reenactors...

Revolution Rising

Most people seem to agree... which is why I find it interesting that it's so hard to find a regiment.

Ya know RR... at least we can rest somewhat assured that 150 years from today, if a young lady with your kind of ancestry wants to show an impression in a re-enactment of GWOT, there won't be any more nonsense about whether she was or wasn't legit.

Hang in there...

RR -

Some more.

--------------------------------

Mike:

"That's very disappointing. In my day, we would bend over backwards for anyone who wanted to portray a Civil War soldier. In addition to the site I just mentioned, I'd do one more thing which might help her a lot. One of the earlier sites I gave you http://www.civilwartalk.com has on it a reenactors' corner but more importantly, one of the people on the discussion board goes by the name of Blue Zouve. She is a woman whom I've known for a long time. I met her on a Civil War steam boat cruise 10 years ago. SHE is a Reenactor and lives out in Idaho. Maybe your friend could send per a pm and they could talk behind the scenes so to speak about some ideas.

Failing all that, there is always the fall back role of Civilian reenacting as a Civil War woman, nurse, historical personality, etc. Anything to to get close to the scene of the action. Then she could make inquiries."

--------------------------------

Tam, You are a gem!

Her unique situation is that she can justly claim direct ancestry among Civil War fighters in her own right. So, she has the moxie AND the creds to become one, if she pleases (in my opinion).

She appears to work SO hard at her impression, within the bounds of everything except the one thing over which she, and her counterparts in 1860-65 had no control.

She wants to be, and could be I'm sure, a fighter. My old fartish attitude about not wanting females to be doing that kind of dirty work is just silly in her case... as it is in other instances when women can and did fight.

I'm hoping she'll follow your suggestions. Something tells me she is stubborn... as any good fighter should be.

One of these days we'll see her name as Captain of Infantry!

Civil war events are nothing but circus side shows and reminescent south park episodes.
It's simple, just go to the annual re-enactment of the Battle of Tamarack Hill, an annual event since 1924! SouthPark.gif

Defend the Bell of Appomattox and avoid drinking the Peppermint Schnapps if you can. Also, try not to get your historical info from Grandpa Marsh. :lol:

When Obama gets in office we won't have to worry anymore about if a girl can be in them or not. After banning guns we won't be able to have any more re enactments.

When Obama gets in office we won't have to worry anymore about if a girl can be in them or not. After banning guns we won't be able to have any more re enactments.

Even Obama cannot stop the free will of Americans. Not to worry... :rolleyes:

I say if your into that hard core , go for it. I did living history for years (with the 140th NY) and loved it. Some of the best times I had with my fellow Zouaves. I wish that I could of been with the 110th PA however just cause 2 of my family fought with them ( one was KIA at Gettysburg). So I say "stick to your guns" sooner or later, things will go your way. thumbsup.gif

I was a "hardcore" CS reenactor with the 27th Virginia, Stonewall Brigade, from 97-03. Started as an Infantry private, made Corporal, then moved on to Surgeon.

I well know the 'stitch nazi' mentality, esp. amongst some of my fellow CS reenactors LOL.

What area are you located in, RR? I know of some units, but I'll tell you right now, if you are trying to find something more "autnick", it's going to be tough.

Your impression certainly looks 'good' from what I can see, but as you well know, finding a unit that will accept a 'gurl' is going to be difficult.

Revolution Rising

Bluehawk... thanks for all the info, I'll have to take a look at all the links you gave me. I just hot home from a trip to Philadelphia and a reenactment, which is why I haven't been around lately.

^ Jason, I'm located in Central Pennsylvania.

Bluehawk... thanks for all the info, I'll have to take a look at all the links you gave me. I just hot home from a trip to Philadelphia and a reenactment, which is why I haven't been around lately.

No problem at all...

How did this one go for you?

Revolution Rising

I've sent out a bunch of emails to units over the last few days... so far two have replied. The one was family oriented, and the other said they might allow me to join. I have to meet with their General at an event in November. They seem like a unit with a good impression, but I doubt they'll let me in since they're regulars.

I've sent out a bunch of emails to units over the last few days... so far two have replied. The one was family oriented, and the other said they might allow me to join. I have to meet with their General at an event in November. They seem like a unit with a good impression, but I doubt they'll let me in since they're regulars.

This represents progress off of status quo.

So, I'm happier. Hope you are getting encouraged.

Revolution Rising

I got a reply from a PA unit. They do a mix of events and seem very supportive of females with positive impressions. They're also in a good brigade. I'm going to meet up with them at a parade next month. I actually think they might work out, they seem like what I'm looking for.

I got a reply from a PA unit. They do a mix of events and seem very supportive of females with positive impressions. They're also in a good brigade. I'm going to meet up with them at a parade next month. I actually think they might work out, they seem like what I'm looking for.

Wow! w00t.gif

Excellent news... I hope you will give us a sitrep from time to time?

Carry on, troop!

Seek and you shall find!

Let us know if it works out! And just in time for the winter emcampment as well! LOL!

Revolution Rising

I'll keep you all informed as to how this all works out.

^ Winter reenactments are the worst... I did one in the middle of October and we froze our butts off! Especially when we did a dawn tacticle and got our feet soaked in a stream andddd it was below freezing. :)

I can't wait to meet up with the 10th at Remembrance Day... they seem like such a great group.

Thanks for all the positive words; your support really has meant a lot to me. There for awhile I was really doubting ever finding a regiment.