Female Civil War Reenactors...

Revolution Rising

Revolution Rising

I was wondering if anyone knows of or participates in a Union Civil War reenacting unit that allows females to join them in the ranks. My current regiment is more "family-oriented", and I'm trying to find a unit with a more serious military impression. Unfortunately, despite emails to various units, I've been repeatedly turned down, and I'm running out of regiments to ask.

Any information would be greatly appreciated. As a female who presents an accurate impression and simply wants to honor her ancestors, this is very frustrating.

I don't know of any, but am disappointed that you are finding it so difficult! think.gif

I'm going to ask some friends about this... maybe they'll know.

I know I have read about units doing this somewhere, or seen it in a documentary on reenacting.

As I am sure you already know, there is historical precedent for this in both Union and Confederate ranks.

The commentary was that many of those doing an impression of a female masquarading as a male soldier played it so close to real that they typically kept very quiet and to themselves. Their forebearers of course would have done anything possible to keep from being detected.

As I recall, some of them were discovered when they became ill or were wounded and required medical attention.

I will keep my eyes open, but there are units out there that will accept you. Keep looking!

And please post something back here if you are successful.

If this helps, here are a couple things that turned up on Google

http://www.pantagraph.com/articles/2006/08...62810079147.txt

http://womenshistory.about.com/od/civilwar...n_Civil_War.htm

There also seems to be a reenactors community on My.Space.... I could not get it to work quite right, but you might give it a shot.

RR -

What follows is the response I got from a professional I deeply trust in this regard. His news may or may not be helpful, but we can be sure it is 100% accurate.

----------------------------------------------------------------------

"Can't speak for this era but when I was involved with re-enacting, there were plenty of women doing it.

Remember Blue that during the WBTS there are documented instances of women going off to the war on both sides. So if they fought in the real war why not as a re-enactor? Though some real hard core units would tell you that if there was no record of women in the original unit then there would be none in the reactivated unit.

Most of us in the olden days of re-enacting didn't mind a women in the unit because often times recruiting was hard. Its not a cheap hobby. A good outfit could cost you a few thousand dollars.

My wife made my Confederate uniform from patterns we got from the Smithsonian. My rifle was an original confederate springfield, etc. So we didn't care what the sex of the soldier was as long as they could shoot and do the manual of arms according to Hardee's manual."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll keep asking around. There has GOT to be some way of accommodating your impression.

RR -

You probably have these references, but they were sent to me re: your quest, so I pass them along.

----------------------------------------------------------------

"Try these sites for more information:

http://www.civilwarnews.com

http://www.civilwartalk.com

Civil War News is a monthly Newspaper that has as its topics; Re-enactors, battlefield preservation, Civil War Book Reviews, Relic hunting and on and on. I've subscribed to it for 30 years. There is even a section in the back dedicated to looking for recruits for reactivated units.

Civil War Talk is a great forum that discusses all aspects of the Civil War. Many of the participants are re-enactors.

If I can be of further assistance, let me know."

----------------------------------------------------------------

p.s.

I have two grown up daughters, so, if they were to run into what you have, I would become, shall we say, rather intensely interested in seeing the matter resolved in their favor. :D

Actually there was a big legal case about this in which it was found to be discrimination to prohibit women- but this was tied to the use of public lands for events etc.

When this occurred I was in the thick of things scrambling to come up with rules for the WW1 Assoc as the rumor was the same woman was coming after us next.

Now I have a problem with it as women in ranks in the ACW were rare as, well, Hitler's underwear. And they did it by looking so much like a man that no one asked. So eventually our decision was that everyone needs to portray an accurate historical representation, unless they could fool everyone. else.

And consider if I were to show up as a WAC at an event- or in a hoop skirt with fan (oh pshaw!)

Sadly, you can't enforce weight rules for WW2 paratroopers. You just classify them a s a "two chuter" or a "Three chuter"

This extended to race, age, sex, etc. An Asian fellow wanting to fight had no problem playing a Gurka. The few black guys interested did unit specific impressions, and for people like that the rules for size of unit was waived. But I could not come as a 369th soldier- (and unless someone could round up a pack of troops not as a lone white officer)

Personally, it is really kind of bothersome to be in the moment, and suddenly some woman with long hair and makeup appears and ruins the moment. It is as bothersome as if I run into a guy wearing a totally wrong uniform, or carrying an M-14 pretending it is a BAR.

Same with kids. I really don't like seeing kids in the ranks that obviously look far too young to have ever past muster. And here I make a reference to a young cook's assistant and those who know the reference will understand. In ACW you can get away with it in some units and some specific jobs

The thing is there are gazillions of things that women did in the war far more than the handful that fought. Look at any event- sometimes there is a sea of camp followers around sewing, cooking, nursing, sutlering, playing morticians assistant, etc. So it is not like women are prohibited from events.

So my advice is to find a unit where women play women- and as time passes Maybe she'll get to play in a skirmish, and realize that firing a musket is not all that big a deal.

Civil war events are nothing but circus side shows and reminescent south park episodes.

Im not surprised you're having difficulties.

101combatvet

Absolutely hilarious! thumbsup.gif

Civil war events are nothing but circus side shows and reminescent south park episodes.

Im not surprised you're having difficulties.

Revolution Rising

Blue and gwb... thanks for the info. I'll check out the links tomorrow... I don't have the time right now as I have to open at work tomorrow.

A lot of the problems I'm encountering are that units are saying that it's not them, that the events won't allow me on the field. Others tell me that there isn't documentation of females in their units. I sent an email to a group that portrays the regiment my ancestor fought in for all four years of the war, and explained my impression, as well as my ancestor serving in their unit, and they basically gave me a bunch of bs about why I couldn't join.

So my advice is to find a unit where women play women- and as time passes Maybe she'll get to play in a skirmish, and realize that firing a musket is not all that big a deal.

I had eight ancestors in the war, all of them but one infantrymen. I'm not there to look cool shooting a gun, like some of the girls AND guys you'll see out on the field, I'm there because my ancestors were there and I feel an incredible debt to their bravery.

I had eight ancestors in the war, all of them but one infantrymen. I'm not there to look cool shooting a gun, like some of the girls AND guys you'll see out on the field, I'm there because my ancestors were there and I feel an incredible debt to their bravery.

Well stated.

Hang in there. I am certain there are many many who support your effort to bring your impression to the outstanding traditions of re-enactment. I admire your faithfulness and devotion.

You sound like a young lady who is not the type to be scared off by adversity.

Croix de Guerre

I'll weigh in,,,I used to reenact CW. From 1985 to around 1997 or so. I was a dyed in the wool, hard-core-stitich-counting-thread -Nazi. Among the many reasons I stopped reenacting was the bad reenactor theatre quality of most reenactments and/or reenactors themselves. The thing most female reenactors and their supportors miss, esp. when they quote the handfull of documented cases were women served is that they did so by pulling off a deception. They fooled most of their CO's and fellow soldiers into the belief that they were men. The problem with most female reenactors is that you can tell they are female (some from 100 yards away). The public is confused enough about history without some reenactors adding to their misunderstandings. But do what you like, it's a free country. I do appreciate your love and interest in your own heritage and our nation's history but if you choose to portray a soldier, see if you can go to a unit meeting and a few events and not let any one know you are a woman. If you can do that, then you've done your job.

Well, as I said . Cut your hair- dress like a guy- act like a guy- contact a unit and tell your name if Fred is something and join up. If you can fool them- then you could have fooled the unit in the war and no one can complain.

But there are lots of impressions I can't do due to my age/sex/race/ etc. Some I'dactually like to do. And I can't. I can't play football or baslketball either due to my size or height.

Like I said, get involved with a unit in any capacity, and when you find the right group, and prove ypu're hard corps, I'll bet that they find a way to sneak you ito their ranks during a big battle. Maye not in the public meet and greet- but when they need bodies and no one's going to look twice at one more guy in a line of 30.

But you'll have to really prove yourself first as worthy of their taking a chance on you.

General Apathy

Same with kids. I really don't like seeing kids in the ranks that obviously look far too young to have ever past muster. And here I make a reference to a young cook's assistant and those who know the reference will understand. In ACW you can get away with it in some units and some specific jobs

Hi Jon, with reference to children, next year in Normandy (65th Anniv ) there is a new fifteen page list of rules and regulations covering a lot of doe's and don't doe's for re-enactors, this is officially sanctioned by the French, to include requiring permissions to be sought from the Gendarmes and town mayors for setting up camps and required codes of dress, I would check seriously the regulation of German uniforms, and insignia, also vehicles.

Court cases and custodial sentences are mentioned, the showing of anything with a swastika on it, helmet, jacket or rank is a serious offence, remember French people had five years of the swastika 65 years ago, it was not a re-enactment for them.

Children are mentioned, it definitely states no wearing of rank by children, not certain if it forbids uniforms for them.

If any forum members plan on being in Normandy next year in uniform or military vehicles catch up on these rules fast, before coming. I think if you look on ' milweb.net ' you may find them listed, they were talked about on there a couple of weeks back, it's a good site to look at anyway.

Cheers ( Lewis )

... if you choose to portray a soldier, see if you can go to a unit meeting and a few events and not let any one know you are a woman. If you can do that, then you've done your job.

RR -

In a real sense, the above suggestion appears to be the most faithful to re-enactment, without becoming overly overly.

I suppose it exists as the challenge a female would have had in 1860-65, and is therefore as relevant to enactment today as it was to reality then.

Absent some other better plan, that may be the best and MOST challenging alternative?

In the 21st century it seems very odd, but then so does ball shot and wooden canteens.

Revolution Rising
The problem with most female reenactors is that you can tell they are female (some from 100 yards away).

I agree with you completely. We have a few of them in my current regiment, two of which can barely lift their weapons to fire. I find it a disgrace... yet another reason I'd like to find a new regiment.

Well, as I said . Cut your hair- dress like a guy- act like a guy- contact a unit and tell your name if Fred is something and join up. If you can fool them- then you could have fooled the unit in the war and no one can complain.

My hair is short for a girl... would probably be considered medium length for a guy. I'm as tall as most of the guys so I don't stick out in that respect. And, yeah, a friend suggested joining a regiment and not telling them I was a guy... the problem I would have with that is the legal issues of signing event wavers and so on. It would be fine unless something happened to me.

And thanks again, Bluehawk. :)

Revolution Rising

^ Haha I already have 7 years worth of them from my current regiment, including the time we locked a guy inside the porta-jon with a ramrod. Good times.

gwb123... I was checking out this link: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/civilwar...n_Civil_War.htm, and was pleased to see Private Fuller on the list. In my research of my ancestor's regiment, I discovered that Fuller was discharged for being a woman. Quite amusing since she served in the exact same company as my ancestor.

"Fuller, Charles

Enlisted in Co. D, 46th Pennsylvania. She was detected as being a female and discharged. Date unknown." (She served from Sept 2 1861 to Oct 31 of the same year, actually)

^

gwb123... I was checking out this link: http://womenshistory.about.com/od/civilwar...n_Civil_War.htm, and was pleased to see Private Fuller on the list. In my research of my ancestor's regiment, I discovered that Fuller was discharged for being a woman. Quite amusing since she served in the exact same company as my ancestor.

"Fuller, Charles

Enlisted in Co. D, 46th Pennsylvania. She was detected as being a female and discharged. Date unknown." (She served from Sept 2 1861 to Oct 31 of the same year, actually)

Now that is an irony! Is there a unit reenacting the 46th? You'd fit right in!

My direct ancestor rode with Company G, 11th PA Cav, aka. 108th Volunteers. Apparently he enlisted in 1861 and was in for the duration.

They allow Port-a-Potties at a re-enactment, but refuse to allow females in the ranks unless they can pass as males on the justification of "authenticity" ???? w00t.gif

They allow Port-a-Potties at a re-enactment, but refuse to allow females in the ranks unless they can pass as males on the justification of "authenticity" ???? w00t.gif

Post a pic of you in uniform.

Revolution Rising

Bluehawk - modern sanitation and whatnot. And it isn't that they won't allow you if you don't pass for a male... they won't allow you PERIOD. Even if you look/act/can completely pass of being a guy (which I pretty much can, I was a tomboy growing up), they still won't allow you. But, back to the portapotties... yeah. The hardcore male reenactors can use portapotties but won't allow women in the ranks.

Now that is an irony! Is there a unit reenacting the 46th? You'd fit right in!

That's the unit I emailed and explain my ancestor served with them, and they gave me a bunch of bs why I couldn't join.

6th - Just go to the Impressions thread. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...40&start=40

Well, on that account, I'd be willing to start a protest movement... aimed at insisting that all re-enactment camps use latrines, just as they would have been done in 1860. :D

Either that, or admit females in period uniform just like everybody else. :)

Well, on that account, I'd be willing to start a protest movement... aimed at insisting that all re-enactment camps use latrines, just as they would have been done in 1860. :D

Either that, or admit females in period uniform just like everybody else. :)

A REENACTMENT IS FOR THE PUBLIC TO WATCH. MOST OF THEM KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING AUTHENTIC. SINCE WOMEN FOUGHT IN THE CIVIL WAR. I SAY LET THE LADIES DRESS AND FIGHT. AFTER ALL ITS ONLY GOOD FUN AND EVERY REENACTER KNOWS THE MORE REENACTORS OUT ON THE FIELD THE BETTER. GO FOR IT GIRL.

A REENACTMENT IS FOR THE PUBLIC TO WATCH. MOST OF THEM KNOW NOTHING ABOUT ANYTHING AUTHENTIC. SINCE WOMEN FOUGHT IN THE CIVIL WAR. I SAY LET THE LADIES DRESS AND FIGHT. AFTER ALL ITS ONLY GOOD FUN AND EVERY REENACTER KNOWS THE MORE REENACTORS OUT ON THE FIELD THE BETTER. GO FOR IT GIRL.

What the heck then... that makes at least 3 of us Marine! :D

I think they oughta let the lady get on with it, too.