Please avoid posting Social Security Numbers

gwb123

Just a reminder:

When showing documents or equipment from either your collection or items for sale, please block images showing an individual's Social Security Number (SSN).

This applies to parties that are either living or dead. It just encourages identity fraud.

Unfortunately the US military used SSN's for a time for identifying records, ID cards and certificates. I believe they have ceased doing so for this same reason.

I realize SSN's may be used for research. Please send a Private Message to the individual helping you if that is the case. We just do not want these on the out on the Forum for all to see.

If anyone has a question this, please let me know.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Just our annual reminder on this issue. Thanks to all for taking care in posting personnel records on here.

• 5 weeks later...

Once again, I need to post this reminder. I've had two reports of this in just this weekend. Please avoid posting or displaying Social Security Numbers associated with military members on here, living or dead.

Please take a careful look at the service records and other items you are showing to make sure the SSN is not there. If it is please either edit it out or simply cover it in the photo.

Thank you.