Unusual M1 Helmet Stamp

equitis

I've just bought what i thought was going to be a fairly standard late M1 helmet from Ebay.

However, the helemet I've received has me stumped.

I already own quite a few M1 helmets, mostly from the Vietnam era, and so far every one has had a heat stamp inside of one sort or another.

Initially, this appeared to be just another VN era pot to add to my collection; it came with a Woodland camo cover (dated by an 1983 contract number), and an unmarked liner with the suspension marked "SUSPENSION ASSEMBLY FOR LINERS, GROUND TROOPS HELMET", and a sweat band marked with a 1972 contract number. The helmet itself is apple green and has the classic VN era nape cutaway at the back.

But that's where things started to get a bit odd. I looked for a heat stamp inside but couldn't find anything. Eventually I noticed that instead the rim had been stamped at the front "Lot 04/92 U's".

I've never seen this kind of marking on a US helmet. The nearest I have seen is a very early model (magnetic steel) Danish M48 helmet.

I'd welcome any thoughts on this?

Regards,

Equitis.

Images attached of the unknown helmet (on the right) and for comparison an M1 believed to have been manufactured by R.J. Stampings in Canada. Note that the Stampings helmet is a duller green and has textured paint. The unknown helmet is very apple green and just a matt finish.

post-161890-0-19882300-1480770451_thumb.jpg

post-161890-0-20765500-1480770467_thumb.jpg

Image of the strap. There are no markings on the webbing or any metal parts. The metal appears to be parkerised steel (not brass used on some NATO straps):

post-161890-0-95054100-1480771230_thumb.jpg

Thanks Vertol,

I was already thinking it may be a Euro clone M1, but being based in the UK I see many NATO helmets and the paint shade isn't correct for Belgium, Netherlands, Denmark etc, and while I recognise the manufacturer Heinrich Ulbricht's Witwe, Schwanenstadt, it doesn't have the usual "U.SCH" markings inside the shell.

After further investigation I found on the "Euroclones - an essential guide to postwar steel helmets" that some Austrian helmets were supplied to the Belgian Army with "Us" stamped on the rim.

This, as I'm no doubt you're aware, cannot be a Belgian helmet as it doesn't have the Belgian flag insignia on the outside. I also doubt it's Danish, as the Danish military adopted the late model US M1 chin strap, and the only other Danish M1 usage would be for Civil Defence, and therefore stamped "CF" inside.

So there is still a mystery with this helmet; it uses a US style paint scheme, liner system and cover, but is essentially an Austrian supplied clone.

With a manufacture date, one assumes, of 1992, I wonder if it was supplied to one of the former soviet block countries who were closely following the US spec?

Anyway, we've established that other than the liner and cover it isn't US issue so this thread may as well close.

Regards,

Equitis.

• 3 years later...

The stamp is unmistakable Dutch. But I got to say the colour sure look 70s Danish!  All Danish helmets of LS and U.SCH make are ink stamped, never stamped in the metal. The Danish army did not buy many helmets after 1975 ,- if any! The last I know about is the 1989 civil defense purchase of U.SCH in yellow.