LRRP Patch ID

MPage

I'd like to know if anyone knows which unit this represents; I've seen it identified as the 24th Infantry Division LRRP platoon from their time in Germany. I don't know...

post-257-0-16655900-1480675975.jpg

I have it as the 24th ID also. Looks the same, maybe same maker, but not as used or washed as much. Id is inked on the back and was bought at the KC ASMIC show back in 84 or 85. One of the first patches I had bought outright instead of getting it from other GIs or vets. Might have gotten it from Ray Kling or Scotty. Would be nice to know if it is misnamed! Good looking patch you have there!

Nice find and the reference I have also indicates this was worn by the 24th ID LRP or LRRP while they were in Germany. A number of different variations of this beret flash but made of metal was supposedly worn in Germany. They sold on eBay and I got outbid except for one but kept photographs for future reference.

This one is supposedly the earliest beret badge worn in the 1950s and is LRP not LRRP.

post-1389-0-16393600-1480728956.jpg

post-1389-0-58042500-1480728970.jpg

I have it as the 24th ID also. Looks the same, maybe same maker, but not as used or washed as much. Id is inked on the back and was bought at the KC ASMIC show back in 84 or 85. One of the first patches I had bought outright instead of getting it from other GIs or vets. Might have gotten it from Ray Kling or Scotty. Would be nice to know if it is misnamed! Good looking patch you have there!

Thanks for that. How rare is an original, do you think?

This particular one is on a beret. I'm wondering if that's the original intent for these patches, since they're so small.

Here is I'm guessing a pocket patch for this unit and I don't know if it is original or a copy as the backing material looks more South Korean manufacture.

post-1389-0-98775400-1480729141.jpg

post-1389-0-55175900-1480729153.jpg

Here is a related piece being sold by the same vendor and probably worn by the same unit once they lost LRP or LRRP status. I don't know if these are authentic pieces or not but your flash on an original beret is probably the rarer of the bunch.

post-1389-0-86505900-1480729288.jpg

post-1389-0-59730600-1480729302.jpg

Here is the metal version of your beret flash which is LRRP not LRP.

Thanks for takin' the time to throw these up here. Do you recall seeing any of those badges with clutch backs? I'm asking because there are what appear to be four clutchback-type holes in the beret stiffener, in a sort of symmetrical pattern larger than that of a DUI...so it must have sported a badge at one time.

Thanks for takin' the time to throw these up here. Do you recall seeing any of those badges with clutch backs? I'm asking because there are what appear to be four clutchback-type holes in the beret stiffener, in a sort of symmetrical pattern larger than that of a DUI...so it must have sported a badge at one time.

I have only seen these beret badges with pin backs. However I have photos of another 24th ID LRRP badge that is clutch back but don't know that much about it.

post-1389-0-48249600-1480751700_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-19264100-1480751817.jpg

This is what I enjoy about this "hobby" of ours, always something new to learn about. I have been collecting Ovals and Flashes since 1973 and have never heard of these "flashes".

It should be most interesting researching these. Does anyone have any period photographs of these being worn in any fashion Flash or Pocket Patch?

I may have been in error calling the metal pieces beret flashes as they are probably pocket badges and the metal enameled piece in Post #10 a DI.

I may have been in error calling the metal pieces beret flashes as they are probably pocket badges and the metal enameled piece in Post #10 a DI.

Yeah the Indian head is a DI however the other badges are similar in style to the old "Trojan Horse" badges that SF wore on their berets.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 6 years later...

Czech this out:  A guy unearthed one of the Security Platoon badges while metal-detecting.  https://metaldetectingforum.com/index.php?threads/34th-infantry-security-platoon-dragons.6231/#post-52357

This is what he found:

34thinfantry.jpg.a70907dc960589c7eceb433ce5fa8877.jpg 

I guess it bears repeating that in the 50s/60s there was a 34th Infantry battle group/battalion with the 24th Division in Europe.  Also the Regiment had the nickname "Leyte Dragons" for WWII. 

Interestingly, the Regiment's DUI:

34.jpg.270759ca070e15feaa096f88ac5cc241.jpg