US AIR FORCE SECURITY SERVICE

BEAST

I looked on the forum but couldn't find a reference to the USAF Security Service. At first, I thought it was related to the USAF Security Forces, but according to the experts at Wikipedia ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Air_Force_Security_Service ) they say it is "...essentially the United States Air Force's cryptographic intelligence/Signals Intelligence (SIGINT) branch; its motto was Freedom through Vigilance. It was created in October 1948 and operated until 1979, when the branch was re-designated the Electronic Security Command. It was later re-designated Air Force Intelligence Command, Air Intelligence Agency, the Air Force Intelligence, Surveillance and Reconnaissance Agency, and is currently designated as the Twenty-Fifth Air Force (25 AF)."

Also, these are really tiny! Were they worn on a beret? BTW, the 434th served just up the road from me at Grissom Air Force Base.

post-203-0-36530700-1480625994_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

It's funny that you posted these and I'm glad that you did because I recently picked up a bullion AFSS piece that is tiny and I was wondering the same thing;that it was possibly made for a hat or beret?

post-13386-0-15090000-1480627228_thumb.jpg

post-13386-0-72208400-1480627236_thumb.jpg

Patchcollector

I don't believe that the bullion piece is for a blazer.This was most likely made for a hat,or as you suggested,a scarf or ascot type of piece.

Ascot could be as well, as 99% of the USAF bullion stuff seems to have been done for more "formal/ceremonial" wear, not flight suits or normal duty attire. They just don't hold up well.

Randy

Patchcollector

I believe that these small sizes patches were probably made for caps.I've seen similar ones that other units had made up for themselves.It could have been a "local" wear item.Since caps are not normally washed,a bullion piece wouldn't be a problem.

I'm thinking mine may be Japanese,or German made.