Help with pins in picture of paratrooper

stratasfan

H, Everyone! I'm in Florida right now, spending a week with Gramma, and have a picture I need help with. She just got a picture of her second husband (c. 1956) in uniform. Can anyone help me figure out what he served in? His son doesn't know anything except he thinks he said he was a paratrooper. He is the one on the right with more pins on. Any help about anything on his uniform would be greatly appreciated! I don't know enough to be able to tell, but seems to me some of the pros on here might be able to! :)

post-151812-0-83906300-1480557022_thumb.jpg

Hi! I'm very new to this, and am wondering . . . what is an "expert" pin for? Also, does the oval with the wings on top mean anything? I know absolutely nothing about his service time. Actually, until about 15 minutes ago, didn't know he served! Thanks for helping! I appreciate the response! Also, what is the pin above his right pocket and the collar device?

The key is the DUI on the shirt epaulette. Given that it might be an eagle claw on there and the fact that he's infantry (crossed rifles disk) and that patch looks like a black airborne tab, I'm going to go with 502nd Airborne, 101st Airborne Division.

Thanks! Gramma said the 101st sounds right, now that you say that. Anyone have a picture of what that DUI would look like? I can't find anything on a quick google search that looks like it.

P.S. A basic question . . . why would he wear a DUI on his shoulder tab? Is that normal?

Hi! I'm very new to this, and am wondering . . . what is an "expert" pin for? Also, does the oval with the wings on top mean anything? I know absolutely nothing about his service time. Actually, until about 15 minutes ago, didn't know he served! Thanks for helping! I appreciate the response! Also, what is the pin above his right pocket and the collar device?

Expert pin is what he would have qualified for.....This included weapons such as rifles, machine guns, grenades, etc.....The oval w/wings signifies he was a paratrooper....The color of the oval denotes which unit......Bodes

looks like he has a letter and number combination over the disc(Infantry?) on is eft ollar

The oval for the 503r typically has a dark red inner circle silver/white outer.

The inner part looks to light and outer to dark to be 503rd to me??

Expert pin is what he would have qualified for.....This included weapons such as rifles, machine guns, grenades, etc.....The wings w/wings signifies the was a paratrooper....The color of the oval denotes which unit......Bodes

Would it have been one of those badges that little bars are hung from the bottom?

Thanks! Gramma said the 101st sounds right, now that you say that. Anyone have a picture of what that DUI would look like? I can't find anything on a quick google search that looks like it.

P.S. A basic question . . . why would he wear a DUI on his shoulder tab? Is that normal?

This is post WW2 regulation

ark tie too so Im tinking late 40s to 50s

We do know that he came to the USA in 1955. So, this has to be around then.

As that badges doesn't have any bars . . . is that normal? To wear it with no bars? What would it mean you were an expert of?

Could the pin on his right side be a Unit citation ribbon? I just remembered that those are worn on that side.

When blowing up the photo the DUI sort of resembles this with in a shield

82nd_airborne_division_dui_n12669.gif

Is this the 101 or a different one? (Sorry, but I am using Gramma's computer since I am not at home, so I have none of my usual things around!)

Is this the 101 or a different one? (Sorry, but I am using Gramma's computer since I am not at home, so I have none of my usual things around!)

The one I posted is for the 82nd Airborne Division

Thanks! I was looking for the 101, but can't seem to find any with an eagle claw. Is that an old insignia?

Oh, thanks! I wasn't getting any of these images up. Well, to my untrained eye, it sure would be hard to tell between the two.

Glad to help a little

You always help with research :)

I cant say for certain which unit it is.Just throwing out some options

We do know that he came to the USA in 1955. So, this has to be around then.

As that badges doesn't have any bars . . . is that normal? To wear it with no bars? What would it mean you were an expert of?

He may have had more than one pin....Might have prefered wearing one without, but than again the qualification pins w/bullseye might be for pistol....Bodes

Thanks so much, guys! I'm back on the comp tonight and just checked my email. I just wrote a letter to the archives to see if I can get any information about him. Hoping to get something, like his service number or his service dates, etc. I'll make sure and post if I get an answer! Don't often do post-WWII records. Is there anywhere to find a roster list or something of the two airborne divisions? Just wondering.

That disc looks like the post 1957 Artillery disc to me, with then the DI being for the 319th Artillery, when you zoom in you'll see what I mean.

post-34986-0-15833000-1480730684.jpgpost-34986-0-66662000-1480731165.jpg

Well, that picture of a collar disc certainly looks like it could be. I was assuming it was the light, but it does look like the pin has something vertical in the center. What is rocket artillery? Would they have been paratroopers? This is certainly interesting! All my Gramma remembers is him saying he served in the 101. His son doesn't know anything but the photo. -sigh-