• advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
  • advertisement_alt
smwinter207

2017 SOS

Some bourbon is also on my to do list.

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif

I'll post the names of places for you. My buddy is to bourbon as i am to uniforms... He's got over 100 brands OPEN.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

I mentioned this previously, but the Uber community is really great in Louisville. So, you can hit many bourbon and beer spots!

I mentioned this previously, but the Uber community is really great in Louisville. So, you can hit many bourbon and beer spots!

Blech... I'm heading out for BBQ at Marks Feed Store, now that's where it's all at.

On another note, when I pulled into Louisville today, it was 70 degree's and sunny!

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."
donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

On another note, when I pulled into Louisville today, it was 70 degree's and sunny!

Make you homesick for the arctic? ;)

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

It's worth living in flyover country this winter! Can't imagine it being warmer, than it is here in Chicago. Looks like I get a vacation and a military show.

And it's going to get even warmer! And then go back to perma-frost... :D;)

Sometimes it's nice to just have it be dependably cold!

2-22-2017 4-02-28 PM.jpg

Only a weak society needs government protection or intervention before it pursues its resolve to preserve the truth. Truth needs neither handcuffs nor a badge for its vindication. -Supreme Court Justice Anthony Kennedy

Peace is not the absence of war, but the defense of hard-won freedom. -Anton LaGuardia

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I'm wondering that myself. I'm hoping to do some of that exploring tomorrow after I fly in.

The Craft House and Monnik Beer look fantastic. Seems like Louisville is really adding some nice spots.

Make you homesick for the arctic? ;)

What's funny is that when I left Wisconsin it was 60 degrees and my wife said it got up to 65! We are usually on the 20's... been an odd winter and not a flake of snow left on the ground.

"There is no such thing as an expert, only students with different levels of education."

What's funny is that when I left Wisconsin it was 60 degrees and my wife said it got up to 65! We are usually on the 20's... been an odd winter and not a flake of snow left on the ground.

That seems to be the way it usually is when you are leaving home; it's suddenly sunny and nice weather. You know if you had stayed home, it would have been 13" of snow.

"It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data. Insensibly one begins to twist facts to suit theories, instead of theories to suit facts."

*Sherlock Holmes in "A Scandal in Bohemia"*

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif
donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

I thought some folks who couldn't make it would like an update. If you have friends here, there are some incredible medal groups. WWII AAF, marines, army. Couple Korea WIA. VN party suits.

Probably the best show I've been to out of only four times.

Going to the show is on my bucket list. Couldn't go this year but going in 2018 with my Dad. I'm doing the 12 hour drive from my college in Marquette, Michigan while he is flying from North Carolina to meet me. He doesn't collect Militaria but I am sure he will enjoy it, I'm just glad I can spend time with him during the middle of the semester since I'm so far fro my family! Might have to skip a few days of class but it will be worth it! I also have a question about the show. Is a good amount of the items for sale sold on the first day? Or is there a steady amount of Militaria to go through the entire duration of the show?

Jacob

-Looking for USAF 2167th Comm Sq. Items!

-Also interested in items from KI Sawyer AFB.

Check out my website! http://www.pofmilitaryantiques.com/

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gif

Going to the show is on my bucket list. Couldn't go this year but going in 2018 with my Dad. I'm doing the 12 hour drive from my college in Marquette, Michigan while he is flying from North Carolina to meet me. He doesn't collect Militaria but I am sure he will enjoy it, I'm just glad I can spend time with him during the middle of the semester since I'm so far fro my family! Might have to skip a few days of class but it will be worth it! I also have a question about the show. Is a good amount of the items for sale sold on the first day? Or is there a steady amount of Militaria to go through the entire duration of the show?

Jacob

Jacob,

Best thing to do is get two memberships to the Ohio Valley Military Society. It allows you free entry starting Thursday-Sunday. There are items that will go quickly on Thursday bc members and dealers only allowed in the show.

Otherwise, there are plenty of military items to buy all weekend, and some great deals at the end, as guys don't want to drag things home.

S

Jacob,

Best thing to do is get two memberships to the Ohio Valley Military Society. It allows you free entry starting Thursday-Sunday. There are items that will go quickly on Thursday bc members and dealers only allowed in the show.

Otherwise, there are plenty of military items to buy all weekend, and some great deals at the end, as guys don't want to drag things home.

S

Thank you for the advice. So only members and dealers are allowed entry on Thursday? Or the entire show?

Jacob

Thursday is for Members Only.

Friday-Sunday is the Public (and Members).

Thank you! Do you know when the dates for 2018 will be posted?

Jacob

Not to go in to more detail due partly to the ongoing investigation but the person who took my wife's 1940's engagement ring from the display case is a SOS member since it was taken Thursday morning around 8:45 am before the public was admitted. SHE has been 99% identified and the police are investigating. The Louisville Police and other SOS Security were great with immediate response and shutdown of the two doors. They did everything possible and I understand that it is very difficult to proceed with an arrest AT THIS TIME.

It was definitely planned and she has done this before. If anyone else had items stolen please notify the Louisville police. If you want more information about this woman please PM me and I'll try to answer any questions if it does not impede the investigation.

Steve

Not to go in to more detail due partly to the ongoing investigation but the person who took my wife's 1940's engagement ring from the display case is a SOS member since it was taken Thursday morning around 8:45 am before the public was admitted. SHE has been 99% identified and the police are investigating. The Louisville Police and other SOS Security were great with immediate response and shutdown of the two doors. They did everything possible and I understand that it is very difficult to proceed with an arrest AT THIS TIME.

It was definitely planned and she has done this before. If anyone else had items stolen please notify the Louisville police. If you want more information about this woman please PM me and I'll try to answer any questions if it does not impede the investigation.

Steve

Wow, I hope you're successful in making the case against the thief!

Not saying this is connected at all but I did notice many persons in the show on Wed night and Thursday (During set up times) that were not "legit" table holders or helpers, meaning I never seen them set up or tied to an actual table the entire weekend?? Many were European members, so thinking maybe they buy tables for the badges, but give the tables away to others near their assigned table. In other words, like paying a premium for early entry. Honestly I would like to see this practice blocked and if you buy a table(s) "You" actually have to bring inventory to set up on the table(s). Many people are on the waiting list to get tables and I would like to see some new dealers show up.

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Wow, I hope you're successful in making the case against the thief!

Not saying this is connected at all but I did notice many persons in the show on Wed night and Thursday (During set up times) that were not "legit" table holders or helpers, meaning I never seen them set up or tied to an actual table the entire weekend?? Many were European members, so thinking maybe they buy tables for the badges, but give the tables away to others near their assigned table. In other words, like paying a premium for early entry. Honestly I would like to see this practice blocked and if you buy a table(s) "You" actually have to bring inventory to set up on the table(s). Many people are on the waiting list to get tables and I would like to see some new dealers show up.

X2 Thanks, couldn't agree more.

WW1 American items donations always appreciated!

The "Europeans" going in on Wednesday probably paid the "Lifer" fee and got in during setup both days. Yeah, there was a lot of vendor confusion except for those who set up EXTRA early. If I did not have 2 table helpers I would have never been able to get set up. We had vehicles in front of us, also, so it was pretty bad at times.

(Geez! I've never laughed so hard as I did with those bloody Brits!!)

The three hours to set up on Wednesday is stressful enough after driving and sitting around half a day in the parking lot.

With that said.....bring on the SOS 2018!

Note: we had an empty table next to ours for the entire show.

The "Europeans" going in on Wednesday probably paid the "Lifer" fee and got in during setup both days. Yeah, there was a lot of vendor confusion except for those who set up EXTRA early. If I did not have 2 table helpers I would have never been able to get set up. We had vehicles in front of us, also, so it was pretty bad at times.

(Geez! I've never laughed so hard as I did with those bloody Brits!!)

The three hours to set up on Wednesday is stressful enough after driving and sitting around half a day in the parking lot.

With that said.....bring on the SOS 2018!

Note: we had an empty table next to ours for the entire show.

With the new requirement that started this year requiring dealers and helpers to wear and display both their membership badge and dealer (or helper) badge, I didn't see any "Life membership" badges on these certain individuals.

Anyway, don't take me wrong, I personally don't have any issues with any group and enjoy the collecting conversations etc. my point is, is if tables are being bought just to get in early, I would rather see new dealers on the waiting list get the tables.

Also I agree to your point made about allowing more than one table helper this year (one for each table you have), that was a GREAT change and made things much easier to get your inventory in the hall and set up. Although, I would like to see Wed. set up last a little longer, 4 hours would be nice!

I do realize that any empty tables, quickly get filled with inventory from the surrounding dealers, so many of the unused tables don't get noticed, Like I'm sure the one you said you had next to you was quickly covered and used. We didn't have any empty table next to us, actually the opposite. The dealers behind my tables also set up 2 small tables inside their tables to put out more stuff, but this really made the dealer area extremely congested and near impossible to move about (or sit). With such tight quarters to begin with, you would think common sense would prevail on not doing that. :dry: I will be requesting a new location for next year.

In the end, it was a great show as always and can't wait to do it again next year!

USMC 2/2 Fox Co 0311 & 1st Recon Bn Delta Co. 0321. 1986 - 1995 (Desert Storm 90/91)

US Army Long Range Surveillance Co F 425th INF ABN LRS Team 1-6 2003 - 2005 (Iraqi Freedom 03/04)

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif

donation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif