Have the room,airline tickets,tables and most likely the largest amount of just patches at the show!

Mortaydc60, Where in the hall will your table be located? I'd like to see your table of squadron patches. Can you post photos for those that can't attend? Jeffro

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

YIPPPPEEEE !!!!! Got my table confirmation notice today! This will be the first time being on the 'backside' of the table at SOS! Really looking forward to it, getting my "stuff" ready to go now. Whoppeeee!

Other than that-just another boring day! :D

WW1 American items donations always appreciated!

YIPPPPEEEE !!!!! Got my table confirmation notice today! This will be the first time being on the 'backside' of the table at SOS! Really looking forward to it, getting my "stuff" ready to go now. Whoppeeee!

Other than that-just another boring day! :D

Congratulations!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Jetheo believe I should be in same location as last year,which was pretty much center of big room. Been informed that I have the largest number of cases of any dealer period at the show and it is all just Patches. Will try to post as much as I can for the forum members. Have approx 40plus ww2 Marine Sq Patches for sale including VMF214. Hundreds of WW2 ArmyAir Forcefor sale also.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

1st timer and cant wait.

Always looking for uniquely marked helmets, WWI and WWII American Field Service items, WWII and earlier USMC items and named or numbered medals and medal groups.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

post-8016-0-48641800-1578110344.jpeg

Any word on the attending vets??

Hello USMF guys and gals:

I have a tenative list of veterans, but learned my lesson last year; will post the information at the last possible moment since at their age, these gentlemen very understandably are known to change their plans due to health issues, weather forecasts, etc. Last year I was buttonholed by a dozen different folks who were purple-faced mad because they drove x hours specifically to visit with (I don't remember who), and of course that individual had elected not to come due to health concerns. You would think that people excited to meet veterans would be understanding of the health concerns of a 90+ year old guy... they were NOT. I am absolutely, positively bringing a taser this year. Or at the very least, the cat's 'NO!' squirt bottle.

So yes, there will be special veteran guests. Info will go up on the website sometime around the 14th or 15th.

Contrary to rumor (where the hell do these things get started?) no, there is absolutely no plan to ditch the veteran program. We love the veteran program. As you can imagine, the focus in future years will be less and less on WWII and more on later conflicts.. but that is understandable. I would hope. Yea, probably not.

Show is an absolute sell-out, with a number of applicants disappointed in their quest for a table. This is good (full show), but bad (I hate that people are disappointed.) I sincerely wish there was another 50-60,000 square feet available where we could squeeze in another 3 or 4 rows, since we could certainly sell the tables. The more, the merrier! Unfortunately, though, we will have to make do with the 166,500 square feet that we are in now. (That's 2.9 football fields, in case you were wondering)

IF you wanted tables and did not get one this year, there are two things that you should do:

1) Assuming that you are coming to the show to shop and if it is practical to do so, bring a table's worth of stuff along to sell. There are always a few last-minute cancellations due to (like the veterans) weather, health, etc., leaving a few scattered tables or small blocks open, but too late to fill them formally via the waiting list. Those last-minute table opportunities will be sold first-come, first-serve, at 10:00 am on Thursday. So, there's a chance you could get a table at the door. As long as you are coming to the show, bring stuff, and inquire at the front desk.

2) At THIS YEAR'S SHOW, apply for 2018. No guarantees of course, but you have a great shot if you do that. If you wait until the latter part of the year, probably not so much.

I'll be posting photos and information up on the OVMS facebook page starting tomorrow.

https://www.facebook.com/sosovms/

If you haven't already visited there and "liked" the page, come on! Get on the stick and get that done. Apparently the fate of the universe depends on Facebook likes.

Seriously, though, we will be putting a few "come to the big Show-of-Shows" ads up on there, and would sincerely appreciate likes and especially SHARES of those posts to your friends and collector groups. Help us grow the show and introduce it to new collectors. More people, more happy. More happy, better show.

If you are a first-timer, as several have commented in this thread, here is the new page that we cooked up specifically for first-times attracted via the internet ad campaign. Well, this is more for folks new to military collecting in general, but you all might find it informative as well.

http://www.sosovms.com/Show_of_Shows-Introduction/

If you have OVMS questions that can wait until after next Tuesday, hold them for after next Tuesday. This is a transition year, and our new business manager is on a tight deadline getting the printed program fixed up in a computer program that he is learning as he goes. In our conversation tonight, I could not help imagining him as the guy who has figured out how to take off in the airplane, and is now trying to figure out how to land it while circling the airport, with a gas tank that is nearly empty, and a bladder that is nearly full. Let's save the deep philosophical phone conversations for next week.

Check out the facebook page starting tomorrow afternoon for more news and show photos, and I am eager to see each and every one of your smiling faces in Louisville in just a few short days!

Jeff (not Bill)

because Bill is busy.

post-2-0-10415400-1477335312.jpg

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Very cool.

I guess it takes all kinds, but when I met Dick Cole last year, I couldn't believe that I was having the opportunity to shake hands with a man that I read about as a 2nd grader that had just before found out what happened at Pearl Harbor. The idea that people would have a problem with a 90+ yr old cancelling is unbelievable. The fact that ANY show up is remarkable.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

Hello USMF guys and gals:

You would think that people excited to meet veterans would be understanding of the health concerns of a 90+ year old guy... they were NOT. I am absolutely, positively bringing a taser this year. Or at the very least, the cat's 'NO!' squirt bottle.

Jeff...

Go with the taser option. Then you can watch them curl up into a convulsing ball on the floor and pee themselves, much to the satisfaction of the majority of attendees.

On YouTube, it could be a gift that keeps on giving.

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

Always interested in the 166th Infantry, 42nd Division, A.E.F.

Quality WW1 studio portraits and real photo postcards of Distinguished Service Cross recipients; showing steel helmets; or other interesting content.

Nope it was John K...........

To be fair, he was a good sport. Or just so completely speechless that he didn't know what to do. Either way, it certainly brightened my day and entertained a fair number of others.

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

To be fair, he was a good sport. Or just so completely speechless that he didn't know what to do. Either way, it certainly brightened my day and entertained a fair number of others.

I have 11 repartees'...but none are appropriate to post.

Always Buying...Medals...Patches...Wings... Singles or Groups...Top Cash Paid!!!

My Website...http://www.purpleheartsnorthcarolina.com/

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

donation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gif

donation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Pepper spray works better...no need to order the extra hot sauce at dinner time.

In Memoriam:
Lieutenant J.Kostelec 1-3 First Special Service Force MIA/PD 4 March 1944 Italy
I HAVE SEEN THE ENEMY AND IT IS DAYLIGHT
Forget about the tips..We'll get hell to pay (AC/DC)
"If you cant get out and run with the big dogs then sit on the porch and bark at the cars going by.."

Have you Hugged a Clown Today?

You Cant Get A Sun Tan On The Moon..

Contrary to rumor (where the hell do these things get started?) no, there is absolutely no plan to ditch the veteran program. We love the veteran program. As you can imagine, the focus in future years will be less and less on WWII and more on later conflicts.. but that is understandable. I would hope. Yea, probably not.

Mea Culpa. Sorry Jeff. I mentioned what I had been told last year by a guest (but neither a veteran nor collector/dealer himself). I didn't mean to open a can of worms for you! Great to know the veteran program will continue. I appreciate the hard work that goes into the SOS and making it the great event it is...

Kevin

Have you ever noticed that people who are brutally honest seem to take more pleasure from the brutality than from the honesty?

donation2010.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gif

donation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

At this time in three weeks I will be laid back with my feet up, replaying the first day of my first SoS ever. Look forward to militaria overload!

"Remember Bataan, Never Forget"

Actively looking for U.S. Army Run/Swim/Walk For Your Life patches.

Treasurer, ASMIC

Area V VP, ASMIC

www.asmic.org

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gif
donation2014.gif

1st Year - No ideas. No expectations. Great deals. Didn't bring enough cash.

2nd Year - Arrived prepared with money in hand. Great experience with the Vets. Couldn't find the stuff I saw last year.

3rd Year - Arrived on Thursday. Bought a membership. Less of a crowd, and I got some choice items. I almost could have gone home then, but had a great Friday and Saturday too.

This is my 4th time. Looking forward to a combo of the above experiences.

S

Mea Culpa. Sorry Jeff. I mentioned what I had been told last year by a guest (but neither a veteran nor collector/dealer himself). I didn't mean to open a can of worms for you! Great to know the veteran program will continue. I appreciate the hard work that goes into the SOS and making it the great event it is...

Kevin

Hey Kevin, that's no problem. I've heard that rumor all over the place. Since joining the board, I have been perpetually amused by the "word on the street" as it differs from what is actually discussed in the meetings. It was especially entertaining after we acquired the MAX show.

A few notes that reflect answers to the questions that are coming in to the OVMS email:

1) Concealed carry is not allowed in the Kentucky Expo Center. This is not an OVMS rule, this is Kentucky State law.

2) As far as firearms sales go, OVMS policy is easy: Obey all local, state, & federal law. Beyond that, check any weapons at the front with the police so that they can be cleared, and zip tied. No loaded firearms inside the show at any time, except for our security force.

3) Additional parking passes for exhibitors are not available beyond those already allocated. I believe there is one per packet, if requested. (KEC issues us a limited number of these; we don't have 'extras', and they are unwilling to give us oodles of them, because of course, they want to make $$ on parking.)

4) There will be port-a-potties available this year in the parking lot where the dealers are lining up for load-in. (Thank you George Morgan for that excellent suggestion.)

5) Bill is working on scooter rental. Not sure where he is on that, since he is working through a third-party vendor. Will advise as updates are available.

Hey Kevin, that's no problem. I've heard that rumor all over the place. Since joining the board, I have been perpetually amused by the "word on the street" as it differs from what is actually discussed in the meetings. It was especially entertaining after we acquired the MAX show.

A few notes that reflect answers to the questions that are coming in to the OVMS email:

1) Concealed carry is not allowed in the Kentucky Expo Center. This is not an OVMS rule, this is Kentucky State law.

2) As far as firearms sales go, OVMS policy is easy: Obey all local, state, & federal law. Beyond that, check any weapons at the front with the police so that they can be cleared, and zip tied. No loaded firearms inside the show at any time, except for our security force.

3) Additional parking passes for exhibitors are not available beyond those already allocated. I believe there is one per packet, if requested. (KEC issues us a limited number of these; we don't have 'extras', and they are unwilling to give us oodles of them, because of course, they want to make $$ on parking.)

4) There will be port-a-potties available this year in the parking lot where the dealers are lining up for load-in. (Thank you George Morgan for that excellent suggestion.)

5) Bill is working on scooter rental. Not sure where he is on that, since he is working through a third-party vendor. Will advise as updates are available.

Are Segways still banned from riding down the aisles of the show? :mellow:

Austin_Militaria

donation2012.gif

Glad to be going again this year. Probably my 6th or 7th in a row. So big that my rule is if you like it, buy it because you'll never remember where it was later on. Always a great show and good time to reconnect with old friends