RED RIVER RATS PATCH-U.S. MADE?

BEAST

I have searched and read the threads on the forum that I could find that discussed this patch. From what I have read, I believe this insignia was made in the U.S. I am a little unclear if this was made as a reunion piece or was worn on a flight suit.

The patch shown here has a Velcro back that has been sewn on with a thread that is very close to the sage green flight suit.

I would appreciate your thoughts on whether this was a) made in the U.S. and b)whether this was worn on active duty.

Thank you!

post-203-0-32381700-1480344697.jpg

post-203-0-12693900-1480344696.jpg

The RR have been around since 1967. They held their annual reunions in the states starting in 1969. They used to run (maybe still do) a Country Store that sold these patches. Many are old US made like yours and perfectly authentic. Of course there are Japan, Thai and other makers as well that they had done when in-country. While the party suit was a common place for these, they occasionally were worn on the flight suit as well. I had a fighter sq. commander that wore one occasionally in the early 90s.

Randy

The RR have been around since 1967. They held their annual reunions in the states starting in 1969. They used to run (maybe still do) a Country Store that sold these patches. Many are old US made like yours and perfectly authentic. Of course there are Japan, Thai and other makers as well that they had done when in-country. While the party suit was a common place for these, they occasionally were worn on the flight suit as well. I had a fighter sq. commander that wore one occasionally in the early 90s.

Randy

Thanks Randy. The time frame for these patches was one of my questions. Whether the US made versions would have been worn during the VN war period of if they were only worn post VN. I appreciate you helping to clear that up.

Here's a topic on them

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/225729-river-rats-5oo-or-5000/?fromsearch=1

Mine came from a son Tay Raider.They were invited to a reunion in sometime between 1927-1974th and inducted into the association due to crossing the Red River.Even saw his certificate.

Thanks Ron. This thread was one of the ones that I read through repeatedly trying to learn about these patches. By the way, that's a nice Son Tay group!

Thanks Ron. This thread was one of the ones that I read through repeatedly trying to learn about these patches. By the way, that's a nice Son Tay group!

Thanks

...I meant to post 1972-1974.(auto correct isnt my friend) ^_^