WW1 42nd Div Camo

doyler

Thanks

Rusty Canteen provided a link thats shows Rex as being born in 1910.Maybe his fathers helmet or a sibling or just something he laid claim too.. :lol:

May look through the county history to see if any matches to the last name surface

Thanks

Rusty Canteen provided a link thats shows Rex as being born in 1910.Maybe his fathers helmet or a sibling or just something he laid claim too.. :lol:

May look through the county history to see if any matches to the last name surface

Hi R!

I'm not sure what to make of the birth date of 1910, but here he is in the roster for HQ, 168th Infantry:

hq.jpg

RC

Beautiful helmet Ron, a real keeper.

Rex Clifford was born 1897 in Lovila, was living in Des Moines during WWII. Enlisted 4 May 1917, Discharged 16 May 1919.

Died in Arizona August 23rd 1980:

Rex C. "K", 83, of 1705 W. Linden, a former route manager for the Price Merchan-tile Co., died Aug. 23, 1980, in a local hospital. He came here 33 years ago from Waterloo, Iowa, and was a World War I Army veteran. He was a member of Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 720, WW I Rainbow Division Veterans and the-Methodist Church. He is survived by his wife, Bernice; children, Vivian, Violet, Darlene, Maxine, Carol, Myrna, Robert, Donald and Lowell; 22 grandchildren and 24 greatgrandchildren. Services will be 9 a.m. Wednesday at Camelback Sunset Chapel, 301 W. Camel-back.

Also Ron checked history and no awards listed and no wounds, Gold Star should have card on him. His enlistment in May is when units were still at home station recruiting to fill slots. remember they just came home from Mexican Border in Feb. so many took discharges. He was probably in a 3rd Iowa unit but who knows as the 1st & 3rd where joined to make up the 168th with the left overs going to Cp. Cody as part of the 34th. The line companies all came from 2 cities per company in Iowa, the Headquarters company I'd have do some research on, but information should be on his card at Camp Dodge...George

Also Ron checked history and no awards listed and no wounds, Gold Star should have card on him. His enlistment in May is when units were still at home station recruiting to fill slots. remember they just came home from Mexican Border in Feb. so many took discharges. He was probably in a 3rd Iowa unit but who knows as the 1st & 3rd where joined to make up the 168th with the left overs going to Cp. Cody as part of the 34th. The line companies all came from 2 cities per company in Iowa, the Headquarters company I'd have do some research on, but information should be on his card at Camp Dodge...George

Great info George.

Your a walking book on this stuff.

I have never gotten a card or looked into it at Camp Dodge.Do they have the cards at the museum or is there a place you have to request them on base?

May have a friend there on duty for a couple days coming up.Possibly he could pull some info.

Next time I am there I shpuld look theough the library more.