Patched 3rd Pattern Jungle Jacket Opinions

David

Received this from a friend last night. Came from his step fathers house. He's not a collector, nor was his step father. Jacket was in a trash bag in a trunk in the garage. There's no sign of any other patching previously on the jacket. I'm leaning towards it being legitimate because of the randomness of a put together and not being overly flashy, but I've been wrong before. Haven't really collected patched items as a focus.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Wow great find. The paratrooper wing is SVN made. I agree a legitimate uniform for probably General George I. Forsythe.

post-1389-0-96431800-1480277198.jpg

Looks good, right down to the red stain. For some regions of Vietnam, that seems to have been typical. It must have been a high iron content in the soil, or something similar. I've had a number jackets with that same staining. It just cannot be duplicated.

I am not so sure either of the wings was locally made, but that shoulder patch very well could have been.

I have one source referring to that patch as Combat Developments Command, which was active up to 1973. It was later absorbed in TRADOC, Training and Development Command. So the patch is correct for the time period.

Thanks for the replies. This pic is supposedly of the same gentleman (to left of Abrams). However different jacket. Shoulder patch does have that in country made appearance to it.

Posted Image

Absolutely great looking jacket. Shame that general Forsythe didn't bother to add the Cav combat patch and the ARVN parachutist badge on this jacket.

Anyone have any information on this Gen. Forsythe? I've not been able to locate very much other than a few blurbs of him receiving an appointment to a position by Gen. Abrams.

All the photos looks like he's a two star.I wonder what year he got the third?

Not a clue. Really haven't discovered a lot about him. But al photos I've found are 2n pattern jacket or class As and MG.

Found this, a Butte newspaper article of August 31, 1969 on him, it's a pay thing to see actual article, but this is what some of it say about him.

George I. Forsythe, 51, a Butte native, has been promoted to lieutenant general and is in charge of the Army Com- jat Developments Command at Fort Belvoir, Va ...

https://www.newspapers.com/newspage/2933308/

And this, he was involved in the new Army VOLAR concept apparently.

https://archive.org/stream/commandersdigest1023wash/commandersdigest1023wash_djvu.txt

It's curious that he has no OBIT, is he still alive?

"Combat patches" were always optional.

Yes we know, but very very few Opted Out, though it seems more than a few generals didn't wear theirs for whatever reason, perhaps this is oe of those cases.