Unusual Tigerstripe and OG Cargo trousers. Vietnam Era.

Klaxon

Great post Soar.

I have never seen that label.

That's the typical bright plush quality tiger !!

Klaxon

What's fun about yours is the pattern.

Not usually see in Japanese made items.

4 pocket Rycom silver/tadpole jkt

Hi Soar,

Very cool. Have not seen that label before. I'll have to do some research. Those pants from your previous post are an amazing colour/shade. Very nice. The 4 pocket tadpole tiger shirt's no slouch either. Need to find that to make a set. I wonder what their (Rycom's) OG shirts look like? 4 pocket like this one or the typical 2 pocket OG utility? Hopefully someone else out there can add to this.

Cheers,

Marr

In fact the brand was Rycom Fatigues. I had a suit where the trousers where exactly the same cut as yours - shown in pic. The top was 4 pocket with a large poacher pocket on the back. My suit did not have a label, but then an identical suit came up on ebay the was labeled Rycom - everything else about the suits was identical, so assume they must have been the same manufacture. I assumed these suits were most likely intended as hunting garment due to the poacher pocket.

I have also seen other Rycom garments. Some looked like PX type OD garments - very similar to sateen uniforms . Also dug out a pic of a labeled Rycom 4 pocket jacket in the same silver/tadpole print and colouration as your trousers. This jacket was without the poacher pocket on the rear.

So whether Ryocm was the manufacture but did not have labels in all their garments or they added their labels to existing garments, I dont know. Maybe someone else knows more about them than i do.

Looks like the typical/classic shaved edge buttons on this pair where mine has more like what you'd see on Japanese made Golds. Beautiful pair of trousers.

Great post Soar.

I have never seen that label.

That's the typical bright plush quality tiger !!

Klaxon

What's fun about yours is the pattern.

Not usually see in Japanese made items.

O,

Were the Japanese not know to produce Silver/Tadpole Tigerstripes?

Found a couple Rycom labeled OG Utility shirts online. Oddly both are USAF short sleeves.

This one is Pacific Airforces patched which makes sense with the made in Japan connection.

post-104659-0-54738800-1480523430_thumb.jpg

Interesting that Rycom is the military acronym for Ryukyus Command which was garrisoned in Okinawa. Most likely this factory was located there or on one of the other Ryuku islands.

Hi O,

Again I have to disagree. These pants to me are factory made. A "local tailor" would not have the variety of specialized machines used to make these trousers. He would be working with a single needle straight stitch most likely and not the 6 different and specific machines used to make these trousers. Unless it was a large factory that did custom work so not impossible. Anyways thanks for confirming my belief they are Japanese made.

Cheers,

M

Note label.

Note label.

quote name="kammo-man" post="2248436" timestamp="1480269254"]

No doubt a custom pair for a customer at a tailor shop.

Japanese made probably from the earliest time frame of the cloth being introduced.

owen

Hi O,

Got it. Still gunna have disagree with you though. There's no way any of these garments were custom tailor made for an individual customer. They are all indentical in there fit and construction. The label just has word Tailor in the name but the garments are by no means tailor made. It's much like fashion designers today using the word couture when there is nothing couture (hand sewn) about there clothes. Tailored can also be in reference to fit and finish. By using the word Tailor they are I mplying that their product is of a highest quality and is well fitting.

I think your flogging a dead horse there my friend.

Cheers,

Matt

Label shows word Tailor and shop does small runs to military standard.

Whats flogging a dead horse there ?

Are you suggesting they made thousands upon thousands of these and issued them EN mass ?

Pray tell.

Label shows word Tailor and shop does small runs to military standard.

Whats flogging a dead horse there ?

Are you suggesting they made thousands upon thousands of these and issued them EN mass ?

Pray tell.

Hi Owen,

Yes I am suggesting they made production runs which is exactly what a factory does. You stated " no doubt a custom pair for a customer at a tailor shop" which you obviously are sticking to. You and I know these clearly aren't. I don't know if you read any of the info within my posts, I know they're a bit lengthy and I'm not going to go into why again but everthing about these garments screams factory. The name tailor simply is within Rycom's garment label. Maybe they started life as a small tailor or maybe they're a huge company owened by the CIA and were responsible for all the Okinawa made kit destined for SEA, who knows. All I'm saying that the existence of multiple, identical uniforms without any variation of fit and construction along with the specialized machines used in their fabrication says to me that there is no way these uniforms were "custom made for a customer". It's ok to not know all brother. Up until Soar enlighten us, neither of us knew of this company. That's is what I love about this forum. Just when you think you've seen everything, bam!!!!

Cheers,

Matt

Matt

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill simply because you happen to own the pants and are writing with owners passion.

They are simply a pair of contracted pants made by a known tailor shop.

What's the big deal ?

Sad that it's winter in Canada ?

Matt

You are making a mountain out of a mole hill simply because you happen to own the pants and are writing with owners passion.

They are simply a pair of contracted pants made by a known tailor shop.

What's the big deal ?

Sad that it's winter in Canada ?

If you say so O.

Simply known by Soar thankfully.

There is no big deal at all I was responding to your original statement that they were custom made for a individual which I still disagree with. I assume that's the point you came back around again to make with the "note label" post.

Weather here's lovely thanks for the concern. I'll be sad in February but so far so good.

Be awesome if any forum members who were stationed on Okinawa or who just have knowledge could comment on what it was like there back in the day. Found a great site with a lot of pics and some videos from the islands post war up until the '70's. There's even a shot of a tailor shop on the ginza. Also a weird kids parade, might be Scouts as they're in it but in one shot there's a kid dressed up in a Godzilla type suit and the fabric used is Tigerstripe. I'll try and find them again to post.

He's the sites homepage.

http://www.rememberingokinawa.com/page/remembering_okinawa_home