Unusual Tigerstripe and OG Cargo trousers. Vietnam Era.

Klaxon

Howdy,

A picker friend of mine found these trousers back in the summer and showed them to me at the time. We were both trying to determine what they were but knew they looked Vietnam era. Were they CISO, ARVN or custom. I don't think the later as the seams are flat felled, chaintstitch and the whole garment looks factory made. He came over to mine the other day with them in the hopes a second look would help to figure out their origin. First glance I thought ok buttons look like the type found on Japanese made garments of that era. I remembered I had a pair of silver Tiger trousers in an odd cut that I always assumed where japanese made.

Pulled em out and not only were they similar they were exact in their construction right down to the stitching. Only difference is my Tigers are bellowed on both sides of the cargo where his are only on the back side of the pocket. Thoughts from any forum members would be appreciated. Anyone seen this type before? Not typical Tigerstripe trouser construction from my experience.

Cheers,

Matt

post-104659-0-17579500-1480215742_thumb.jpg

OG front. Sorry wrong front. These are a different trouser. Japanese made experimental utility pants. Again mods please delete. Batting 100 here.

post-104659-0-85734300-1480216706_thumb.jpg

I think your OD pants are custom sewn for ARVN.

Hi Gil,

Great pics. Thanks for posting. Both pairs in the second shot look the closest as the size and bellowing of the pockets are, from what I can make out, like mine. Can't tell if the Beogam has the Utility type patch front pockets like one the OG's to his left. Do you know anything about this pic? Timeframe? Unit?

I still think they're Japanese factory made. They're definitely not tailor shop made.

Cheers,

Matt

Early war stuff.

Hi O,

What kinda time frame you thinking? Early 60's? Do you agree that they are most likely Japanese made?

Cheers,

Matt

No doubt a custom pair for a customer at a tailor shop.

Japanese made probably from the earliest time frame of the cloth being introduced.

owen

Hi O,

I have to disagree with the custom tailored idea. If it was a custom pair seems strange that these two are identical in their construction and make use of machines that are almost never associated with a tailor made garment. Tailor made almost always makes use of a French seam where this is done on an off the arm flat felled machine. Typical of this is the clean finish, both sides and double needle chain stitch on the reverse of the seam. Also the button holes are a Keyhole type. Tailor shop made are either hand done or done with a regular button hole machine not a keyhole. These machines were and stil are very expensive and were often rented by factories due to their cost. With an additional charge for the amount of button holes each machine produced. The Reece Keyhole machine will often be seen with a gauge on the side almost like a hydro meter that counted each buttonhole.

Cheers,

M

Hi Gil,

Great pics. Thanks for posting. Both pairs in the second shot look the closest as the size and bellowing of the pockets are, from what I can make out, like mine. Can't tell if the Beogam has the Utility type patch front pockets like one the OG's to his left. Do you know anything about this pic? Timeframe? Unit?

I still think they're Japanese factory made. They're definitely not tailor shop made.

Cheers,

Matt

Sorry Matt. Photo number 2 was something I found posted on a website for ARVN veterans.

Local tailor-store bought pants.

Just made to the usual Japanese made high standard.

Hi O,

Again I have to disagree. These pants to me are factory made. A "local tailor" would not have the variety of specialized machines used to make these trousers. He would be working with a single needle straight stitch most likely and not the 6 different and specific machines used to make these trousers. Unless it was a large factory that did custom work so not impossible. Anyways thanks for confirming my belief they are Japanese made.

Cheers,

M

Sorry Matt. Photo number 2 was something I found posted on a website for ARVN veterans.

Hi Gil,

Thanks for letting me know. From looking at the pic closely the chap in the camo appears to be wearing 1st pattern jungle boots so it would make sense it's an early to mid '60's time frame which Owen says these trousers date from.

Cheers,

Matt

I have seen another pair of tiger trousers in an identical cut to this. They where in the lime green very early pattern. I will dig out the pics when I get a moment

What is that Japanese clothing brand that sold tigers and od green uniforms - with the label. I think it was 'Trojan'. Again, I have pics somewhere. They where early/mid-war. Their garments where certainly factory made, and some had the labels, some didn't. Anyway, these feel very similar in quality to their garments.

Hi Soar,

Awesome. I'll have to keep an eye out for this "Trojan" brand. Never heard of it before. Do you remember if they had a "civi" non military label specific to the brand or was it a military type of label you'd expect to see on an issue uniform with their name as the manufacturer? Do you know the deal with this company? Do you think they had a military contract or were these made as a PX private purchase kinda thing? Look forward to seeing the pics if you're able to find them. The lime green tigerstripe sounds purddy.

Cheers,

Matt

In fact the brand was ‘Rycom Fatigues’. I had a suit where the trousers where exactly the same cut as yours - shown in pic. The top was 4 pocket with a large poacher pocket on the back. My suit did not have a label, but then an identical suit came up on ebay the was labeled ‘Rycom’ - everything else about the suits was identical, so assume they must have been the same manufacture. I assumed these suits were most likely intended as hunting garment due to the poacher pocket.

I have also seen other Rycom garments. Some looked like PX type OD garments - very similar to sateen uniforms . Also dug out a pic of a labeled Rycom 4 pocket jacket in the same silver/tadpole print and colouration as your trousers. This jacket was without the poacher pocket on the rear.

So whether Ryocm was the manufacture but did not have labels in all their garments or they added their labels to existing garments, I don’t know. Maybe someone else knows more about them than i do.

post-13485-0-53720600-1480449798_thumb.jpg