1st pattern Chuting Stars patch?

Spike

Spike, nice patch... haven't seen that style before. I like the jump wings.

Here are two that I have, I think the round one is an early one and the other is what you usually come across. They both came from an early team member.

post-4361-0-67329300-1480208036_thumb.jpg

There is an article written by Lee Kampstad & PRC (PJ) Chuck Seymour in the January March 2015 ASMIC Trading Post concerning a brief history of the Chuting Stars and their insignia. Your patch is listed as the second version of the Chuting Star patch worn sometime after 1960. The first one I can't show due to ASMIC copy write restrictions. The circular patch that digi-shots has pictured is actually the third version in existence between about 1969 through 1973. I can show you the first patch in the article which I have in my collection having to do with the early formation of the Chuting Stars where most of the team members came from the Naval Parachute Facility. Most of these folks were not UDT or Seal Team but their mission had to do with research and development of aircrew escape and survival systems.

post-1389-0-50613900-1480271221.jpg

post-1389-0-48323600-1480271238.jpg

The round patch was manufactured by Gemsco. (thanks, Salvage Sailor for prior image & posting!)

The other Chuting Stars patch with the SEAL Trident is the same design used in a 1979 Chuting Stars Team poster that I have.

post-4361-0-30812800-1480285491.jpg

post-4361-0-59025300-1480286092_thumb.jpg

The round patch was manufactured by Gemsco. (thanks, Salvage Sailor for prior image & posting!)

The other Chuting Stars patch with the SEAL Trident is the same design used in a 1979 Chuting Stars Team poster that I have.

Per the mentioned ASMIC article your circular patch was the third design due to some USN regulations that required all Naval Aviation Unit patches to be circular in shape.

Per the mentioned ASMIC article your circular patch was the third design due to some USN regulations that required all Naval Aviation Unit patches to be circular in shape.

Thanks! I appreciate the follow up!