WW I Can You Read the Cursive Script?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I'm trying to accurately recreate this document so I can include it in an WWI - AEF Watch article. Unfortunately, I'm unable to conclusively decipher the cursive script and need some help.

Please post what you think has been hand written on this document certifying that the watch issued was functioning properly. Ive posted my best guess at what's written, but I know that some of it is incorrect.

I'm particularly interested in the name written before the date, the abbreviations written under the date and the "make" or brand of the watch.

The document was part of an 86th Division soldier's grouping that was sold some time ago by Bay State Militaria. If by any chance you purchased this group could you please post a better scan of both sides of the certificate?

I suspect that watches issued in the AEF also had to be rated periodically. In some case, before a big operation all key watches had to be set to the exact same time or synchronized by a Signal Corps officer before being returned to their owners. Therefore there may have been a similar card issued overseas. if any members have such a card or have seen one, if possible, please post scans or any information you might have regarding these watch certification certificates.

Thanks to all for helping me with your best guesses ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-78746300-1480126591_thumb.jpg

post-5143-0-77030500-1480126612_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Thanks George,

I'm way off probably in every line. I too thought it might be "camp", but I don't think that there was a Camp Robertson or Robinson. Somewhere I have a list of all the stateside camps. I need to dig that out and see if anything comes close.

I forgot to mention that under "make" I just filled in "Waltham" because I couldn't come up with a watch brand that was remotely close to what was written there.

I read it as Camp, also. The 86th was at Camp Grant, near Rockford, Illinois, before they went overseas. Also, the make of the watch is a Ball, not a Waltham. Ball made good watches. I would suggest the last name of the soldier is something like Hinston.

Good luck.

Pete

world war I nerd

Thanks to everybody who've participated thus far, for seeing what I couldn't. Your input is very much appreciated.

It's amazing how as soon as someone correctly points out what the script actually says that it instantly becomes readable.

I too thought that the first line read "camp" but I was unable to come up with a name that matched. I even Googled "Camp Robertson" & "Camp Robinson" and all I got was two camps from the 30's & 40's.

I also thought that the watch "make" read "Ball", but after a couple of months researching WW I wrist watches, I'd never encountered that manufacturer before. I haven't checked yet, but I'll bet that they made pocket watches ... something that I haven't been researching.

I never read the name as "Winston" though, but now it is coming through loud & clear Lt. Winston's ID booklet was a nice touch too.

Can anybody decipher the inspector's name and the abbreviations or acronyms just under the date?

world war I nerd

Here is a corrected version of the facsimile ... still need to know if anyone can make out the inspector's name and the abbreviations beneath the date.

Thanks again for the help.

post-5143-0-58738900-1480134962_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Founded in 1891, the Ball Watch Company manufactured highly accurate "Railroad Standards" pocket watches. Ball pocket watches were apparently adopted, or at least used by the U.S. Military during WW I.

Although Ball currently manufactures wristwatches, I'm pretty sure that in 1918 they only made pocket watches.

post-5143-0-51417700-1480136255_thumb.jpg

I can make an educated guess at the script below the date (I used to be a very amateur watchmaker and jeweler!). It looks like:

"16s OF YG." That means "16 size, open-face, yellow gold" as a description of the watch. All railroad watches had to be 16 or 18 size if I remember correctly, and open face. I am pretty sure of the "16s" part of the description.

This is a fascinating area -- I had no idea divisions mandated the checking of their watches, but of course it makes sense. Just as railroad companies had to check train crews' watches for safety reasons, so a division would have concern about artillery officers' watches for obvious reasons.

Can you show us a shot of the back side of this card?

Pete

world war I nerd

Pete,

I think you are spot on in regard to the "coded description" of the watch issued to Lt. Winston. Thanks so much for sharing your pocket watch knowlege. Your description dovetails nicely with what I hastily read earlier about railroad standard pocket watches.

Sadly, I don't own the card posted. the posted photo was downloaded from Bay State Militaria some time ago. Like you, I'd also very much like to know what's on the reverse of the certificate.

Maybe a forum member purchased that grouping and will post a scan of its back side.

I too was surprised by the watch certificate.

I speculate that there was a similar document among AEF troops who were issued watches. The Allied Armies made a big deal about sending the correct time via a radio broadcast twice a day to the front from a transmitter situated at the top of the Eiffel Tower. Apparently twice daily American, French & British Signals officers had to ensure that all watches within their command were sychronized to the correct time as broadcast.

• 2 months later...
world war I nerd

Pete,

I stumbled across a front and back view of another Time Inspection Card in the National WWI Museum's online photo archives, so now we can both see what the reverse of the card looked like ... Front side

post-5143-0-40903600-1487383435_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

I just noticed that this card is not identical to the first card posted. It differs by being labeled an "Officers Certificate", whereas the first card was labeled "86th Division, National Army". There are also a couple of other minor differences in the printed text ...

Anyway, here's the back of the card:

post-5143-0-99764800-1487383501_thumb.jpg