US Coast Guard WW2 Veteran Japanese boxes Okinawa and Japan occupation LST 762 USS Floyd County

Pbaczuk

This is a pair of boxes from a USCG officer named LT(jg) Colby. He was an officer aboard LST (Landing Ship Tank) 762-otherwise known as the USS Floyd County. The vessel was launched in 1944 and involved in the Okinawa campaign and Japan occupation. LTjg Colby was one of the original officers. He brought numerous items back to include a scope and a 7.7 rifle. Here are two boxes he used for his treasures.. I believe he got them from Eniweitok in the Marshalls or Okinawa. He stamped his journey into the front of one of the boxes.. the box made of oak. He also stamped LST 762 and Portland, Oregon. into it.

Enjoy

Paul

post-162927-0-60566700-1480107904_thumb.jpg

post-162927-0-45988500-1480107928_thumb.jpg

As a long time collector of USCG-related items, let me just say, "outstanding!" Really cool marked boxes. Did you get any of his souvenirs or just the boxes? Either way, they are cool. Thanks for sharing.

As a long time collector of USCG-related items, let me just say, "outstanding!" Really cool marked boxes. Did you get any of his souvenirs or just the boxes? Either way, they are cool. Thanks for sharing.

I am working on it. I think there is more to come.

-P

The box with the rope handles (not the one with placards and island stampings) is a spare parts box for the Type 93 Torpedo. It is 29.5' long and 2' in diameter !! Still waiting on the other box.

The oak box was translated as a supplementary parts kit for sonar. as Tetsuya explains: "九三式探信機一型 is Sonar." These boxes are either from a destroyer or a submarine.

Pbaczuk,

Nice boxes! I have a weakness for acquiring boxes like these as I end up repurposing them to hold other random pieces of my collection.

I also have a similar/same box as the one you have with the rope handles. It also contains the same type schematic inside and the translation is similar (torpedo parts) as to what you found out.

The box I have is pictured below and has the bringback paper stapled to the box.

Kim

post-60-0-82438200-1481161242_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-14026200-1481161258_thumb.jpg

post-60-0-12951900-1481161274_thumb.jpg

Kim, that box is just like mine. It is a spare parts box for the Type 93 Torpedo. That sucker was 29 feet long and 2 feet in diameter !