Tan/sand painted PASGT's

pawtwo

These are probably part of modern history but, does US military ever used tan/sand painted PASGT shells? I know a guy who has a bunch of these. Some have military contracts and some don't. These non contract made were made by SPP INC (Specialty Plastic Products).

The guy knows nothing about where these came from. I've been wondereing if these were renewed for OIF/OEF and used by US ARMY/Marines or these were renewed and used by soldiers from other countries or just other agencies/press/police ect. There's not much info about them.

I've never been interested in OIF/OEF equipment but these helmets are quite low priced and can be good and cheap base to build from parts another PASGT to my collection. You cannot really identify who used them, these are usually bare shells with dirty suspension, without headbands.

I have picked up several painted PASGT helmets over the years on my travels to Ft. Bragg and have one that came in a large Special Forces grouping from early OEF.

As to who they were used by is a good question. I do know some were used by USSF, some by the Iraqi Armed Forces, and some by the Afghan Armed Forces as well. Without provenance, it is anyone's guess.

From my experience, there isn't a great demand for these at the moment and the ones I see have usually sat in the surplus stores for quite some time. I usually see them sell from anywhere from $35 to $50 a piece. Hope this helps.

If they show a lot of use, it's also possible they were used by a military contracting company. Lots of personnel served overseas with security companies as civilian contractors.

Almost all PASGT helmets I've seen in use in the early stages of OEF/OIF (2006 and earlier) have all had covers. Consequently, it's not easy to see if the shell was painted tan, and it also really wouldn't be necessary to paint the shell anyway since it was surrounded by a camouflaged cover.

Obviously, there are always exceptions to this (such as some SF personnel from EARLY in OEF/OIF, as NKOMO pointed out).

The US has provided LOTS of PASGT helmets to other countries (such as Iraq) when the US military switched over to ACH/MICH helmets. You can occasionally see pictures of Iraqi personnel sporting tan-painted PASGT type helmets.

And that's the point why I'm asking. If it wasn't common it's not worth to buy one to my collection. I usually buy items in my location, not via ebay. PASGT's in my particular medium size are quite rare (one or two good offers a year).

;)

Here is a good example of what Longbranch and I were talking about with the Iraqi Armed Forces. Members of the Iraqi Armed Forces wearing PASGT vests and painted PASGT helmets.

060324-A-7969G-020.jpg

Most of them that I saw looked like the one on far right. The same shade of tan, no gloss. So the safest way is to buy helmets that are OD painted. Thanks!

Looks like one guy has a recycled 187th Rakkasan painted helmet!!......mike

I have always wondered about that too, Mike.

Cap Camouflage Pattern I

One Soldier is wearing an Iraqi helmet with the red Rakkasans symbol. So it looks like it's not a Rakkasans surplus helmet, they just copied the design because it looked cool or the Iraqis respected the Rakkasans.

no factory made tan pasgt helmets were issued (unless small lots were bought but i doubt it).

Rare shot (and i mean rare) of a flat painted tan pasgt worn by army special forces during desert storm.

Special forces are generally seen wearing different helmet from Somalia timeframe onwards, so i think they didn't use painted pasgt after 9/11. I still haven't an answer on who could use painted pasgt in 2000's (referring american forces)

Lot of things to llok on this photo: m16a2 rifle with collapsible stock, m12 holster in DBDU camo (or painted), camouflage net on helmet and much more .

Whilepost-3807-0-10881500-1480144643_thumb.jpg

I have a Kevlat(PASGT)

Appears it was green,then tan and lastly green I recall it came out of an SF group that got split to the wind.Therewere 5 duffle bags of gear,uniorm,vests,armor etc.Guy had served 20 yeas.