752nd Tank Battalion Tab

The Iron Brigade

The Iron Brigade

In another thread tredhed2 mentioned the 752nd Tank Battalion tab was worn between 1945 and 1947. Exactly when were the tabs first worn? Are they technically postwar?

post-164190-0-36199100-1480047585_thumb.jpg

The 752nd Tank Bn scrolls are post war. If you google 752nd Tank Bn hx, you'll find a killer website with a pronounced interest in the insignia of the battalion.

Man, all those ribbons, 3 years o/s's, & two 3 yr stripe's and still a PVT. He must have been a great soldier but did what he wanted.

Man, all those ribbons, 3 years o/s's, & two 3 yr stripe's and still a PVT. He must have been a great soldier but did what he wanted.

Also interesting that our young Troop is wearing a set of Jump Wings with a Background Trimming.

Also interesting that our young Troop is wearing a set of Jump Wings with a Background Trimming.

Ya, forgot to mention that.I was wondering what unit it was for.There was an airborne tank unit but if I remember right it was in the 50s and assigned to the 11th A/B DIV

• 3 weeks later...

Outstanding photos, Iron Brigade! I'm the historian of the 752nd Tank Battalion and can provide a little info about these photos.

I just finished researching 1,828 men that I know were in the 752nd at one time or another. All of the men shown in these photos appear in the 752nd postwar records. That first photo was taken shortly before the 752nd was inactivated, after they had moved to the Pisa-Livorno (Leghorn) area. At that time the 752nd had no tanks, they were basically just doing guard duty at various supply installations and some of the tankers were assigned to SEPE #339, which was a nearby POW camp that was still active.

The name of the Pvt with all the overseas and service stripes is spelled incorrectly, and his nickname is used instead of his rather unusual first name. When you read through the personnel reports, you see that there probably were a bunch of guys whose uniforms probably looked the same.

If you go to the website link in my signature here, you can find a link to my insignia page that Tredhed was kind enough to plug for me. I tried posting a link in this message but got frozen out when the dialog box opened.

Hey Tredhed, I don't know if this is the right Forum for this, but sometime I'd appreciate it if you could school me one more time on the finer points of the 752nd vs 29th Tank Bn DUIs. This has been discussed here quite a while back, but I wouldn't mind a rehash or an update just to clarify, or to make sure no new learning has surfaced. A while back, I think you and I and others were in agreement that the 752 only wore the "pointed" Fortis design and the 29th only wore the "rounded" version of the Fortis design. I recently had a guy try to correct me when I posted my understanding someplace else. But then again I cited Sawicki and Capistrano and he never heard of them...... I just want to be sure that what I state about the 752nd and 29th on my website is correct, so I can change it if I'm wrong. Internet mistruths are pretty hard to change, so I don't want to be spreading bad information.