USN black boondockers

deros

I've been a little beguiled by the black smooth out capless boondockers offered by SM wholesale but was unsure how much use these would have seen during WW2 as I have long thought from photos that there were low quarter black shoes issued for wear with blues/ whites and rufout boondockers identical to usmc except for nxsx numbers for wear with dungarees.

Is anyone able to set me straight on this, I'm shortly going to be springing for ATF boondockers which look dapper with corded soles and sunburst tread pattern but whether to go for the SM type too is what I have yet to determine based on what gets said here

Thanks

Tim

The low quarter shoes were intended for wear with the dress and undress uniforms, but were commonly worn with dungarees since they were comfortable, and many duties did not require the use of boondockers. So basically, it's true that you will see the low quarters commonly in photos, their use wasn't exclusive, but it wasn't uncommon. I think one reason you don't see boondockers more often in period photos, is that the photos tend to be of deck personnel whose non-battle station duty simply didn't require boondockers. Thus when GQ was sounded, they reported wearing the same shoes they put on that morning. I'm sure some commands didn't bother to order everyone to wear boondockers as the uniform of the day when there wasn't a need for everyone to wear them. Usually they show up in period photos of working parties, repair parties, cargo and ammunition handling parties, etc. In other words, the places you would expect to see boots as opposed to shoes. To summarize, both were worn, but not by everyone.

That said, a lot of people will tell you that if they could get away with shoes (that were cooler and lighter), they would.

Black boondockers were standard issue in the USN. The brown ones came about for other Naval personnel; Seabees, Marines, etc. Both got used, but the black ones were supposed to be in the possession of most sailors. As can be seen though, shoes were preferred, especially in the Pacific where it got hot.

That's cleared that up... many many thanks..looks like the credit card is about to take a bashing....

Anyone doing correct dungarees for less than 85 bucks?

The black boon dockers with out a cap toe were issued in boot camp, and were to be worn with dungarees. (Thus the name "Boot Camp"). After recruit training, they were no longer required as part of the "Sea Bag". So, once they wore out, generally they were not replaced. If a Sailor could get his hands on "Othet Noon Dockers", they would. My dad got a pair from a Marine as part of a trade, and caked them with black shoe polish. Other than that, he preferred lie cut oxfords. BTW, when the GQ alarm sounded, there is MO TIME to go and change shoes. You go to your Bstyle Station, as you are! 3 minutes is pretty much all you have. The ship is being sealed up, and you do not break the seal.