USMC camo 'Rigger' Field Gear

camopara

Corpsmancollector

Nice 'flage rigger made items, Jim! You know I'd do almost anything for one of those demo bags! I think I only know of 2 in existence? Super nice M55 belt scabbard too, again one of the few I have seen...

As a side note, do you have an OD scabbard for the M55?

Hey, Will!

Thanks for the kind comments- the only person I know of who has the O.D. Reising Holster is Robinb ("War Building"); Hayes Otoupalik likely has one, but I don't know about that. There are photos of both O.D. and 'flage Scabbards in use, but the camouflage ones seem to be the ones which show up from time to time.

Last I heard, there were 4 or 5 of the Dem Bags known to be in various collections (Hayes had 3: one for himself, I bought one and Doug Bailey got the other), but I'm thinking there are probably more than that out there (not much more, though :ermm: ). I would imagine that they sold more readily in the old days through the surplus outlets than the Reising Scabbards due to being handy carry bags; a good deal of the Scabbards around now were scored from a surplus store by Hayes and the late Chris Bruner sometime in the late '80s.

All the Paraflage canvas goods displayed, with a few pieces missing yet :think: ...

post-3226-1288144661.jpeg

Corpsmancollector

Hey Jim,

You just missed one of the OD scabbards on eBay this last week. Sold for a pretty penny. I know of robin's scabbard and one in a private collection this side of the pond. I'm also led to believe that Doug Bailey found a bundle of them in a thrift store many years ago, apparently some of them were severely devoured by our feline friends but there were a number of serviceable ones. The one which sold on eBay is the only one I've seen for sale on the open market.

As for Demo bags, yours and Doug's are the only ones I know of. I would agree that many of them were sold through surplus stores, as a handy camo carry bag!

I would really love one of those shovel covers too! Not many of them around. I know Harlan Glenn did a run of reproduction covers through TTO-USMC a number of years ago, but even they are seldom seen.

Thanks again for sharing Jim!