36th Infantry Division Medic Album

Austin R

This group belonged to W E Bonham Jr, who was from Collin County Texas. Before the war he worked as an undertaker in his town. When he joined the service, he became a medic for the 142nd infantry regiment, 36th infantry division.

This group has some of the best photos I've owned in it. However, it appears that whoever developed the film was an amateur so the photos are not that clear. I scanned the highlights of the group to share.

Entering an Italian town, 1943

post-51120-0-87006400-1479857334.jpg

• 4 months later...

Any idea what company or battalion he was in? I am putting together a service history book on my great grandfather's service in 3rd btl, I company, of the 142nd and am looking for any interesting photographs of men or battle locations to include. Thanks!

• 5 weeks later...
Squad leader

According to the 36th ID roster, he is listed in the Med. Det. of the 142d Inf.

IMO Photo #1 was taken in Germany in 1945 (probably in Kaiserslautern).

I think the wreck seen on photo #2, is one of the Hetzers that Kenneth G. Welker knocked out with his bazooka during the battle of Oberhoffen, in Feb. 1945. Welker was later awarded DSC for this action.

Photos in post #8 were taken in the village of Bains-les-bains, in the Vosges mountains, where the rest camp of the 36th div. was located from Dec. 1944 to Jan. 1945.

Dan.

phantomfixer

yes thanks for bringing the thread back up...Grandfather was in 36th 142 L IIRC...he is in the "book"