11th Airborne Jacket and Shirt

WWIIDADS

Was just sent photos of this 11th Airborne PIR/Glider Jacket and Shirt. Can't make out the laundry marks to identifly soldier/unit. two questions, should the jacket have a belt, and what are the red/green/red slip-on stripes on the shoulders? Nor familiar with that. Thank you for your help.

post-143615-0-18050100-1479753932.jpg

post-143615-0-64301500-1479753945.jpg

The insignia on the shoulder loops are the Distinctive Unit Trimming for the 4th Infantry Regiment.

The loops were their DI? Correct?

So "atb", are you saying the jacket and shirt have nothing to do with each other, nor is the jacket from the 11th airborne? I don't see any yellow pinstripes between the red/green/red like the 4th Infantry regiment. They aren't represented to me as any particular unit, and aren't priced to rip me off, but still wanted to get some feedback here. Thanks

Did they afix a DI to the loops? Or just wear the loops plain?

The shoulder loops are the DUI. The 4th is one of a few units whose DUI is not a crest.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=3619&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

I'm curious as to why someone would wear the 4th DUIs while assigned to the Airborne Command. The soldier may have earned the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon with campaign star with the 4th at Attu in Alaska in 1943. The 4th was then assigned to Fort Benning in 1944 but I'm not sure of any airborne role it had.

post-1761-0-89784200-1479755524.jpeg

The shoulder loops are the DUI. The 4th is one of a few units whose DUI is not a crest.

http://www.tioh.hqda.pentagon.mil/Catalog/HeraldryMulti.aspx?CategoryId=3619&grp=2&menu=Uniformed%20Services

I'm curious as to why someone would wear the 4th DUIs while assigned to the Airborne Command. The soldier may have earned the Asiatic-Pacific Campaign ribbon with campaign star with the 4th at Attu in Alaska in 1943. The 4th was then assigned to Fort Benning in 1944 but I'm not sure of any airborne role it had.

If he was with the 11th Airborne, he should have three battle stars, Leyte, Luzon, and Los Banos, and if started with the 4th IR in Attu and earned one there, he should have 4 total stars correct??

BILL THE PATCH

Los banos was a prison raid to rescue civilian detaines mostly American. I think you might have meant new guinea that's the battle star if I'm not mistaken

Sent from my XT1031 using Tapatalk

So "atb", are you saying the jacket and shirt have nothing to do with each other, nor is the jacket from the 11th airborne? I don't see any yellow pinstripes between the red/green/red like the 4th Infantry regiment. They aren't represented to me as any particular unit, and aren't priced to rip me off, but still wanted to get some feedback here. Thanks

The "yellow pinstripes" are on the metal and enamel version of the Distinctive Unit Insignia illustrated above. The metal ones were approved in the late 1980's (I think). The original ribbon design has no stripes between the red and green.

If the insignia on both uniforms is correct and they belonged to the same person, my best guess would be that he enlisted prior to Pearl Harbor (American Defense Campaign Ribbon), served with the 4th Infantry Regiment in Alaska (three overseas stripes in 1942 and 1943) including the fighting on Attu in 1943 (Asiatic-Pacific Campaign Ribbon with one bronze campaign star), returned with the 4th to Fort Benning in late 1943/early 1944, went to jump school and transferred to the Airborne Command (Parachutist Badge and American Campaign Ribbon), was discharged at the end of the war (Ruptured Duck and World War II Victory Ribbon) and later reenlisted and served in Japan with the 11th Airborne Division (Army Of Occupation Ribbon).

My question for you experts is whether, under that scenario, he was likely to have advanced three pay grades from Technician 5th Grade to Technical Sergeant/Sergeant First Class so quickly in the postwar period?

Was just sent photos of this 11th Airborne PIR/Glider Jacket and Shirt. Can't make out the laundry marks to identifly soldier/unit. two questions, should the jacket have a belt, and what are the red/green/red slip-on stripes on the shoulders? Nor familiar with that. Thank you for your help.

These enlisted dress jackets did not come with a belt....Bodes