USAF Wings

aclfan

Hello,

I am interested in collecting USAF wings from the 1940s - 1960s period. I have started looking over Ebay and other internet sites for availability. I know there is a problem with fakes and reproductions with USAAF wings, but not with USAF wings. Is that correct?

Did the USAF have the same size versions as USAAF? I have seen both 3 inch and 2 inch available, but not sure of the regulations. The Air Officer Guides only cover types, but not full use. I guess those under 2 inch are sweetheart pins?

One thing to remember is,if its collectable and has value,its probably faked or misrepresented.study the wings and hallmarks.don't be afraid to ask questions eveyone here is wonderful and willing to help.the usaf did continue to use the 3 inch wings and two inch after ww2.

Larry,

Welcome to the world of wing collecting. You have come to one of the best places on the internet to learn how to tell good from bad.

One problem is, there is a lot of bad--and increasingly valuable early USAF material is not immune from the faker's black arts.

The upside is that there are a number of very knowledgeable wing collectors here on the forum who are more than happy to share their knowledge.

Additionally, much early USAF insignia was originally manufactured for WW2.

You are really going to enjoy this!

Chris