USMC Ranks

NorBn

teufelhunde.ret

Those chevrons are actually current issue variety: MCO P1020.34F; MARINE CORPS UNIFORM REGULATIONS; CHAPTER 6: MUSICAL UNITS:

6103. INSIGNIA

1. Officers of the Marine Band will wear appropriate insignia prescribed in paragraph 4005, except that on the full dress coat, embroidered insignia of grade will be attached to the shoulder knots.

2. Insignia for Marine Band musicians will contain the musical lyre (See fig. 6-1). Insignia will be worn in the same manner prescribed for equivalent enlisted grade insignia in chapter 4. On special full dress coats or jackets, branch of service insignia, grade insignia, and service stripes will not be worn. Musicians will not wear grade insignia or service stripes on full dress coats or jackets; however, drum majors, the operations chief and assistant operations chief will wear grade insignia. Insignia of grade will be worn on the blue all-weather coat in the same manner as worn on the standard gray all-weather coat. Enlisted musicians will wear the black metal/plastic grade insignia.

Your chevrons are (from left to right) Master Sargent; center top: Gunnery Sergeant (female chevron); center bottom: Staff Sergeant

and far right: Gunnery Sergent.

s/f Darrell

• 1 year later...
  • 6 years later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Few interesting points:

Some chevrons have two stringed lyres, others have four. The four-string lyres look a little better embroidered and have fuller curves at the heads. I suspect that they were later issue.

post-133515-0-65202200-1455661177.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

Next point of interest is a variation in lyre size and color. In the two chevrons below (as in the image from my first post) you can see a difference in the size of the lyre (full-sized 4-string on the Cpl but smaller 2-string ones on the GySgt as well as the SSgt and E-8) and also the color of the green thread is different (more noticeable in the first image - the GySgt is a lighter hue than the others).
post-133515-0-30617000-1455661435.jpg
​.

SgtMaddoxUSMC

There is also shade variation on the green on red chevrons, with the SSgt, E-8 and E-9 chevrons being a lighter shade (maybe no-so-coincidentally those are all the two-string lyres and the darker green chevrons are all four-string).
post-133515-0-20254500-1455661787.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

The only interesting variation with the female chevrons is the green on gray (or light blue as some have called it... looks gray to me). I believe these were for use with an earlier WM uniform, maybe in the 1960's or 1970's. Here it is next to a standard khaki issue. Also another point, all the female chevrons I have seen had the two-string lyres.
post-133515-0-71392900-1455662025.jpg

Erik

The USMC Band chevrons are my favorite chevrons especially the wide dress version.

Is there a way to find out if the picture in #10 is a official picture and why there is a "Gunner" device inside the chevrons ?

Michael

SgtMaddoxUSMC

It is an official photo, yes. Sometimes they wear the band chevrons other times they wear the regular issue chevrons. I think maybe the band chevrons are more used for The Commandants Own and The Presidents Own bands and perhaps the smaller post bands usually use the regular issue chevrons. In photo #10, the Marine is a Master Gunnery Sergeant and for whatever reason they have been ordered to use the regular chevron. I think sometimes it just comes down to the particular event which will dictate specifically which uniform and chevrons to wear.

As a long time chevron collector, I really appreciate getting to see all these USMC Band chevrons. I have a few, but they are not all that easy to come by.

Thanks to all you guys who shared these with us.

@ Erik

I hope you could find some official information about the female version with the grey background. That is the first time I saw this version.

@ all

Here is a picture of a frame I have for many years. Now there is a package on the way from the States and after arrival I need the space for the new. I'm not a friend to put this USMC Band chevrons in a box and there they will be for the next years ( forgotten ). So they are available.

Michael

post-8324-0-94951200-1455743601.jpeg

The only interesting variation with the female chevrons is the green on gray (or light blue as some have called it... looks gray to me). I believe these were for use with an earlier WM uniform, maybe in the 1960's or 1970's. Here it is next to a standard khaki issue. Also another point, all the female chevrons I have seen had the two-string lyres.

attachicon.gifFemale.jpg

Could that have been worn with the summer seersucker uniform?

• 2 weeks later...