Polar Bear Patch/Group

srossio

Hello all,

Just curious if anyone can give information on this Polar Bear Insignia. The few that I have actually seen have always been a felt two piece construction not a one piece printed version like this.

I am working with the Grand-Daughter of this Polar Bear who served with Company B, 339th Infantry. According to his discharge he left for foreign service in Russia on June 22nd, 1918 and returned home on July 12th, 1919. He was wounded (in the heel according to his diary) on November 14th, 1918.

The insignia is on what is left of his uniform. The family cut the sleeve off the jacket years ago preserving his insignia, discharge stripe and overseas stripes. She also has his dog tags, diary, and some letters along with his discharge and purple heart certificate.

Any comments, thoughts, etc. on the patch would be greatly appreciated and I promise to post more as time goes on.

Thanks,
Steve

post-300-0-21271000-1479572376.jpg

Patchcollector

Nice piece.Thanks for sharing it.I've seen an amazing array of variations for this unit insignia and this is a really neat one.

Nice. Have not seen a printed version before. Usually, as you said, they are of the two piece variety.

There were also machine sewn variations

NR0002.jpg

The rarest of all the ones I have owned is the printed variety.I have owned two printed and at least 20 of the others.Eric a great find.Scotty

Thanks for the information everyone! The Grand-Daughter is such a fantastic lady and is so eager to share her family's history. She has no direct children so she is in that quandary of what to do with these items. She has thought about museums but is unsure as she would like the items put on display (which I do). I would love to add them to my collection but I understand her resistance to letting something go that has been in her family for all of these years and, she told me point blank, that the only reason she is letting me research these items is because I respect that of her and am not trying to coerce the items from her! She does have one cousin who has expressed interest however she is unsure if that environment would be the "best" for the items. As I get to know her better I will post further material from the group. I should add that the diary is great...rather simple...but it still offers insight into what these guys were going through especially when November 11th rolled around and they were still fighting. I also find it cool to be holding a booklet in my hands that he carried with him through his time in Russia!

Steve

Years ago I had a USMC PFC green blouse dated 1939-40 with matching printed polar bear patches on each shoulder - very similar to the one above. A great piece!! I haven't seen any printed ones since.

Steve

The one that started this post is the 1919 rare one not the 1939-40 USMC style Iceland Detachment.Scotty

Thanks for the help everyone. When I first saw it I thought it might have been a later addition by the vet to his uniform for parades, etc.

But from what you are all saying it jives with the grand daughter's remembrance of her grand father in that he took off the uniform and put everything away at the conclusion of his service.

Thanks again,

Steve

The one that started this post is the 1919 rare one not the 1939-40 USMC style Iceland Detachment.Scotty

I'm well aware of that. I was just pointing out a similarity between the patches and that I had not seen other printed patches.

Steve

Steve,

Know exactly what you are referring to. For reference here are a couple of the 39/40 printed variations from Iceland which were posted elsewhere on the forum.

post-157266-0-62189300-1436124023.jpg

Nice images, Eric. Are the images black & white, or are the actual patches black & white? The patches I had on my blouse were the same color as the Russian Expeditionary one above.

Steve

There is a book titled "Detroit's Own - The Polar Bears" author is Bozanich. The patch that began this thread, as well as many others, is depicted in the book.

88thcollector

I think if you contact Old Guard Militaria they can tell you all about it. Unless my memory is deeply flawed, he had one at the Raleigh show many years ago and said they were printed on the presses used to print the unit's newspaper.

Saw this patch at the first SOS I attended as part of a very complete grouping belonging to a soldier from Detroit. I remember even back then being blown away by the patch.

There is a book titled "Detroit's Own - The Polar Bears" author is Bozanich. The patch that began this thread, as well as many others, is depicted in the book.

Authors are Stan and Jon Bozich.

Steve,

Know exactly what you are referring to. For reference here are a couple of the 39/40 printed variations from Iceland which were posted elsewhere on the forum.

Eric nice Russian Expedition variations.

Some information about the Z Force Iceland badges, B. Scott was referring. The badge was designed and issued in mid 1940 to the 49th West Riding Infantry Division who were stationed in Iceland after the Narvik campaign. The Canadian forces joined after the invasion of Iceland, forming the British-Canadian garrison force Iceland. USMC Provisional Brigade only arrived in mid 1941 to assume the duties of defense, the British authorized the USMC force to wear the insignia locally and were to be removed upon leaving Iceland.

Here's an Original English made printed badge which are quite rare these days

post-161992-0-94764800-1479821528_thumb.jpg

Those who are interested in more information related to the Z force Iceland: http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/30071782

CDub

Nice images, Eric. Are the images black & white, or are the actual patches black & white? The patches I had on my blouse were the same color as the Russian Expeditionary one above.

Steve

Steve,

The ones I showed are in black and white. I have never seen one from the 39/40 period in the color scheme you mentioned. That would be cool to see.

Forum member Hinrik has the most extensive collection of these I have seen but don't see one in his display either.

POLARB_1.JPG

Thanks for the info everyone!
​I have talked to the grand daughter and conveyed what I learned here and she is delighted. She is still on the fence as to what to do but her leaving the items in my care to "enjoy" may be a good sign.

​His diary is not incredibally detailed but goes well beyond the ususal "it was cold...it rained...etc."

​Nice collection Eric.

Steve

• 5 months later...

UPDATE

I have had several conversations with the Grand Daughter over the past months and this week she gave me the nod that she would like me to have the items. She seems to appreciate what I do (and after telling her about this forum - what all of you do as well). Give me a bit and I will post pics of some of the other items in the group.

I can't remember if I stated this earlier but she also gave me a few hundred images of her father who was a mechanic with the 15th Air Force. There are some great shots of bombers being worked on, nose-art, etc. I also received his dog-tags among a few other items and more may be coming.

Thanks everyone,

Steve

• 1 month later...

Steve, great to hear.

Gunslinger: I think that your printed patch might actually be an Icelandic "Sparta" theater made patch.

Need to take new photos of my Polar bears collection, the photo Eric posted is "outdated" :)

Regards

Hinrik