Misc UDT/SEAL insignia.

Spike

post-532-0-45288300-1509167774_thumb.jpg

I noticed some of the previous Tridents had what look like holes drilled in them. This one does not. The was part of a group of 3 with BIN. Since it's not VN era I'm not too interested in keeping it.

post-532-0-25000500-1509168092_thumb.jpg

This and the mini Trident were the reason why I got these three for a fairly cheap BIN. I have a few of these anyway but I will always grab them for trade bait down the line.

post-532-0-06234200-1509168239_thumb.jpg

This I got REALLY cheap. I thought is was a really badly tarnished silver Trident judging by the pics the seller posted. There in no holes that looked like they are drill on any of these Tridents.

• 6 months later...
L11-VELASCO

Hi Alls

I would like to know wether this US NAVY Seal Trident badge could be a current genuine badge or one from those not real use,only for collectors???

Has any markings that I could not see very clear in pic from seller,any idea what is it,any maker stamping or contract number?

Sizes:7 cm x 3,5 cm

88192980_59365804.jpg

88192980_093818.jpg

Thanks in advance

Fernando

Hi Alls

I would like to know wether this US NAVY Seal Trident badge could be a current genuine badge or one from those not real use,only for collectors???

Has any markings that I could not see very clear in pic from seller,any idea what is it,any maker stamping or contract number?

Sizes:7 cm x 3,5 cm

88192980_59365804.jpg

88192980_093818.jpg

Thanks in advance

Fernando

I believe it is another Communist Chinese copy. The V-21-N hallmark is the manufacturing code provided by the government for use by the Vanguard Insignia Company. When I started seeing these on eBay I thought Vanguard had gone overseas to have their insignia manufactured to save on labor costs. However in another thread a forum member who was in contact with Vanguard stated that these Chinese manufactures are utilizing their manufacturing code (hallmark) unlawfully and it was simply cost prohibited for them to try and stop them in court. I don't know why they added the "CH" which probably stands for CHINA. Below is another early counterfeit Trident made in China. They are currently being sold on eBay and my guess is that a few have made their way into the hands of Seals who wear them unknowingly because they are hard to distinguish from the real US manufactured Tridents.

post-1389-0-23207500-1526493846_thumb.jpg

post-1389-0-63603300-1526493862_thumb.jpg

L11-VELASCO

I believe it is another Communist Chinese copy. The V-21-N hallmark is the manufacturing code provided by the government for use by the Vanguard Insignia Company. When I started seeing these on eBay I thought Vanguard had gone overseas to have their insignia manufactured to save on labor costs. However in another thread a forum member who was in contact with Vanguard stated that these Chinese manufactures are utilizing their manufacturing code (hallmark) unlawfully and it was simply cost prohibited for them to try and stop them in court. I don't know why they added the "CH" which probably stands for CHINA. Below is another early counterfeit Trident made in China. They are currently being sold on eBay and my guess is that a few have made their way into the hands of Seals who wear them unknowingly because they are hard to distinguish from the real US manufactured Tridents.

Yes Finally I discovered they are Chinese copies Im afraid.

Well do you think if I order a Trident Seal directly from Vanguard site I will have a genuine an original Seal Trident in my collection?

I saw them on Vanguard site.

L11-VELASCO

Here is what the current Trident produced by Vanguard looks like.

Very nice indeed,do you think I could order one like this directly from Vanguard site...there it would be a current and genuine one?

L11-VELASCO

Please can someone post the differents Hallmarks(original not Chinese copies) from Vanguard seen on US trident badge een until now and period use?

Thanks

Fernando

• 3 months later...

There are three different sellers on eBay that have had fake UDT or Seal Team uniform tapes manufactured for them over the years so you have to be careful. Two of these sellers advertises them as reproductions but once it leaves their hands and is sewn on a uniform, laundered a couple of times and then removed can fool people. Your piece although kind of stubby in width looks real. I would have thought it would have been wider unless the ends were cut off after it was removed from the uniform. How about a picture of the back? I believe you have an early UDT/TI tape due to the material it is sewn upon. The OD herringbone material and white lettering matches the earlier UDT instructor tape combination of USN/UDT tape sewn in conjunction to and above INSTRUCTOR tape.

post-532-0-48766200-1536697083_thumb.jpg

Tonomachi mentioned "OD herringbone material and white lettering matches the earlier UDT instructor tape combination of USN/UDT tape sewn in conjunction to and above INSTRUCTOR tape" This a version on this tape combination that I have that may have already been posted. too lazy to scroll back thru the topic.

Here are a couple of items that are marked "UDT 21" (mods please move if not appropriate in this section)

The helmet/liner and od green bag are marked UDT 21 and belonged to a former UDT 21 member who was stationed at Little Creek.. He was on the recovery team for two of NASA Gemini capsule missions and assisted in placing the flotation collar around the capsule of Gemini 4.

A lot of UDT and SEAL items don't show up very often and I thought I'd add these to this UDT thread.

Thanks for looking.

post-4361-0-95610500-1536975779_thumb.jpg

• 2 months later...
suwanneetrader

Even after looking at this post over and over I still do not know what my UDT Trident is. It has a solid unmarked back and the gilt has like an oxidized or frosted look to it.

The widow who sold it to me also in the past sold me some WWII EGA. Her late husband had a large board with many US insignia secured to it, some were real issue and others were copies. . Richard

post-15934-0-32216200-1543172125.jpgpost-15934-0-79076800-1543172142.jpgpost-15934-0-74164800-1543172158.jpg

Even after looking at this post over and over I still do not know what my UDT Trident is. It has a solid unmarked back and the gilt has like an oxidized or frosted look to it.

The widow who sold it to me also in the past sold me some WWII EGA. Her late husband had a large board with many US insignia secured to it, some were real issue and others were copies. . Richard

attachicon.gifP1010008 - Copy.JPGattachicon.gifP1010009 - Copy.JPGattachicon.gifP1010010 - Copy.JPG

I have an identical piece that came very inexpensively in a group of assorted insignia. There are silver versions as well, and they share a common feature with some original SEAL tridents, namely the circular hole between the pistol grip and trident staff. To me they are either an original variation/theater made, or perhaps a knock off of sorts sold by army surplus stores.

This is an interesting point that I have wondered about as well. As Spike stated, UDT/SEAL personnel of the era attended the Army airborne COI at Fort Benning, leaving with silver wings and the requisite 5 jumps. I find it hard to believe that the silver wings were worn because the owners hadn't done the additional 5 jumps needed for gold wings though. I know in the more modern era, those additional jumps were conducted within several months of reporting to a team. Nobody wanted to be seen wearing the Army wings. I think it more likely had to do with jump pay and jump billets in the various UDT/SEAL units. In the VN era I suspect that only certain billets within the teams were coded for jumping, and the rules about that state that you can only qualify for gold wings when serving in a paid jump billet. In the modern era, jumping became part of the SEAL enlisted and officer designators, which essentially means that you are expected to maintain your quals and receive the appropriate pay regardless of your billet assignment. Just speculation though. I will ask around about it...

Just came across this thread today and alot of good info and alot of speculation. Just wanted to point out that the silver US Army jump wing was in wide use in the east coast teams, cant say I know about the West Coast but sure Spike does. Here are the closest pic I can find right of hand but is From the USS Casa Grande 61-62 Med Cruise book. This came from Bill 'Fat Rat' Sutherland who is in the pictures, note that Bill was Assault Coxswain, Hard Hat diver, UDT 21, and SEAL 2.

post-10493-0-78275600-1543184491_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-15502900-1543184512_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-10025900-1543184543_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-65562700-1543184563_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-35030300-1543184581_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-91894700-1543184603_thumb.jpg

post-10493-0-88326600-1543184631_thumb.jpg