Possible WW I Chauchat Gunner's Belt?

world war I nerd

world war I nerd

I've had this photo downloaded from I don't know where in a file devoted to overcoats for quite some time. Today I noticed that the Doughboy was wearing what I initially thought was the elusive Chauchat Automatic Rifleman's Belt. Unfortunately, when I compared the belt in the photo to examples of the Chauchat gunner's belt, it wasn't an exact match.

Then I thought, maybe its a weird BAR belt, but it didn't match any of the WW I era BAR belts either.

Because the belt in the photo appears to be too wide (or tall from top to bottom), that also ruled out either a rifle cartridge belt or medical belt with the pockets removed.

Could it be a variation of the Chauchat gunner's belt? If not, what else could it be?

Thanks for looking ... World War I Nerd

post-5143-0-81030800-1479285693_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

Comparison of the unidentified belt in the photo, roughly to scale, to a Chauchat Automatic Rifleman's Belt that was posted elsewhere on the forum - Big difference between the two belts.

post-5143-0-10243700-1479285921_thumb.jpg

world war I nerd

The only equipment visible in the photo is a French Chauchat magazine carrier, 1916 Holster for the .45 automatic and a 1912 Lift-the-Dot Pistol Magazine Pouch ... magazine carrier & holster photos courtesy of Bay State Militaria.com.

Any guesses?

post-5143-0-36557100-1479286155_thumb.jpg

Hi Brian

I think it is an M1903/07 cartridge belt adjusted almost to the full, probably in order to get it around his coat.

Not related but is that a small buckle at the top of his left leg, perhaps for his puttees?

Kurt.

world war I nerd

Kurt, you know what, I think you're right. that's the top of a rifle cartridge pocket not a pistol magazine pouch.

I was suffering from tunnel vision, as I was only thinking about the most commonly worn cartridge belts of WW I not the earlier 1903-1907 & 1907 style belts ... duhh.

Thanks for pointing out the obvious!

Yes that is a small buckle. I've seen commercially made woolen puttees that featured small friction buckles as opposed to the more common tape ties.

• 6 months later...

The photos in this thread are of my grandfather. I have the original which was a dated New Years greeting card for his father. It includes

a censor signature from Lt. Paul H. Hines. I did not give permission for this photo to be used. Please have them removed. By the way that is an m1917 service revolver and holster. He said he used it before the 45 semi-automatic was handed out during the summer 1918. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/278907-possible-ww-i-chauchat-gunners-belt/

• 4 years later...