H.R. 6234 banning Purple Heart sales now has 10 cosponsers...

emaier3

"or any of the service medals or badges awarded to the members of such forces, or the ribbon,"

This makes it sound like they are trying to do this to all medals-not just the Purple Heart medal.
Or is it just a badly written bill?

I wrote my State Representative in October shortly after Dave brought this new legislation to light. I received a written response that was more on the open minded and positive side of this topic. When Ed posted the names of the 16 members of the subcommittee where HR 6234 is sitting, I re-scripted my initial letter a little bit and mailed each of them a letter today. While it has not reached the Senate level, I will be sending my State Senator a copy of the correspondence also.

post-140407-0-18393200-1479326047.jpg

Brian Dentino

Copied Ed's letter and faxed it to the 2 members listed on his email as well as contacted my district representative today via email in case this bill gets out of the subcommittee that it is in right now.

I wrote my State Representative in October shortly after Dave brought this new legislation to light. I received a written response that was more on the open minded and positive side of this topic. When Ed posted the names of the 16 members of the subcommittee where HR 6234 is sitting, I re-scripted my initial letter a little bit and mailed each of them a letter today. While it has not reached the Senate level, I will be sending my State Senator a copy of the correspondence also.

Nice work Bill!

On another note, one of our WA state Reps is now listed as a co-sponsor on the Bill. I sent him a letter 3 weeks ago but obviously it had no effect.

Kurt

I'll continue to do my part. I'll send emails and letters over the weekend. Has anyone heard from the OMSA? They should be taking part in this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Has anyone heard from the OMSA? They should be taking part in this.

I just posted it in the Announcements section of OMSA with the links provided here.

Mark

I was personally hoping it would not get to this point! But for the cosigners while it is a small piece of legislation, it will make them look good in the eyes of liberals who have issues with everything. In the long run it isn't about the piece of legislation at all it is more about the people they could possibly win over! It is a shame our society has gotten to such a place were they cannot even respect what people collect. Also what is the difference then between owning anything that belonged to a deceased person, every human has made some sacrifice in there life, some received medals some did not. So if we are going to ban things like the PH we might as well ban owning of anything that belonged to another human who has passed. Really is a shame because most people that own PHs just want to preserve history and the sacrifices of the people who have died or been wounded for are country.

HOW much, of a chance, do we factually have to win this?

Try as we must and will...

if we don't try to stop it we lose by default - if we try and lose, well, we tried and did not sit back and do nothing to stop this onerous bill-I did my part and sent multiple emails to my congressman's office and heard nothing back. This bill IMO will decimate the militaria collecting community across the boards..

if it passes, then someone will probably have to test the law in court to get it up the ladder and declared [hopefully] unconstitutional-

Something i forgot to say before is if this goes through it will open the potential for all military medals to be banned if you are going to ban the PH what will be next Silver Star, Bronze Star, Soldiers Medal, Distinguished Service medal and Life Saving medal both gold and silver. That would be a real shame because a lot of items will be thrown in the trash by default because people would be to scared to test the law!

Hopefully our specific and rational arguments will pay off... I can't see the other side having much of that on their side... I'm also going to contact the speaker.

ViewfinderGyrene

I emailed my PA congressman and his response was not in our favor ! He thanked me for my input but basically stated he believe collectors are only out for profit and unscrupulous ways of getting medals !

Which individual are you referring to?

if we don't try to stop it we lose by default - if we try and lose, well, we tried and did not sit back and do nothing to stop this onerous bill-I did my part and sent multiple emails to my congressman's office and heard nothing back. This bill IMO will decimate the militaria collecting community across the boards..

if it passes, then someone will probably have to test the law in court to get it up the ladder and declared [hopefully] unconstitutional-

Exactly so...

Onward

Curious if any medal collectors here are PH recipients who are opposed to this legislation. Their voice(s) might be heard a little more than other collectors'. Just a thought.

I agree! to have recipients on our side against this legislation could really help the cause.

Which individual are you referring to?

My rep basically likes this law and seems group all collectors as greedy and unscrupulous! He is republican from bucks Co Pa . I have a bad feeling on this law ! It's going to be a nightmare I fear !

My rep basically likes this law and seems group all collectors as greedy and unscrupulous! He is republican from bucks Co Pa . I have a bad feeling on this law ! It's going to be a nightmare I fear !

Realistically, how much estimated time do we actually have to stop it in?

ViewfinderGyrene

Realistically, how much estimated time do we actually have to stop it in?

Not sure that question has ever been answered but would certainly be a very useful thing to know!

Greedy and unscrupulous!!! historians, collectors and preservers of American history. That's a laugh. Then what are most politicians?

Read the news of who is planning to enter politics and a run for Congress.

Remember some politicians vote on bills by what day it is, odd or even, yah or nay. As two have said in he past, "I don't have time to read a thousand page bill or even a brief." They could care less one way or another.

Plan for the best, prepare for the worst.

If we can't preserve our Medals of Honor and Purple Hearts for Soldiers killed or wounded in action, what's is next for us? Reproduction are already rampant and difficult to tell form originals, scaring away many up and coming collectors.

Just a suggestion, make friends with your local trash man. Just my thoughts. What a bill to come up with for votes. Disgraceful.

Jeff

It's sad ! I think we need to mobile fast to counter this ! My father was a two war severly wound WW2 Korea vet and loved that I collected KIA Purple Hearts ! He felt it honored the soldiers life ! Hell he started me collecting ! But he was old school soldier Duty Honor Country and believed in our rights to own and do what free people do others in congress etc say these values but never live them ! If not there vision of American than it's wrong !