Airborne Patch

Sergesquadron

Hello sirs,

I see that the notices are shared,for or against greenbacks,for my part I am more for patches greenbacks it is really for me another way of seeing things the collection, always the challenge to find the rare patch there greenback that we fid more easily there white back,it is just my opinion.

(Sorry for my English)

Serge

Nothing wrong with that. Again you have some real nice one, even the GB airborne tabs are hard to find. Some people only collect OD border patches. It all comes down to what YOU like.

Correct me if i'm wrong. But I don't think anyone said white back or other colored backed patches didn't exist or are not real WW2 era. I only mentioned that certain collectors like the green back because that was mainly WW2-era. But like you and others have said, and I forgot to mention, you have to look at the whole patch. Just because the back is green, white, or whatever or is OD border does NOT guarantee it is a period patch.Even experienced collectors have been fooled.

Was just trying to give a more or less complete picture and answer to Tonomachi's questions in post #14, I quote his lines...:

"Nice collection of greenbacks. Since we are on the subject of greenbacks I have a question. It is my understanding that they are more sought after by collectors that want to have variations of the same insignia in their collection. However the only real difference being the color of the rear catch threads utilized for a particular batch of patches being manufactured. They are harder to come across than the batches made using white thread so I'm assuming less were made utilizing colors other than white. So this increases their value since less are out their to collect. Other color threads like purple and black were also substituted. So the question I have is why the use of different color threads? Was their a shortage of white thread or did the manufacture get a good deal on a particular batch of color thread and since it did not change the front of the patch it was economically sound to use during war time shortages. My other question has to do with what other collectors have said regarding colored rear catch threads being an indication that the patch was made during WW2 and not post war. So the way to guarantee that you are purchasing a WW2 shoulder sleeve insignia is to look for colored rear catch threads. Is this true? "

Was just trying to give a more or less complete picture and answer to Tonomachi's questions in post #14, I quote his lines...:

"Nice collection of greenbacks. Since we are on the subject of greenbacks I have a question. It is my understanding that they are more sought after by collectors that want to have variations of the same insignia in their collection. However the only real difference being the color of the rear catch threads utilized for a particular batch of patches being manufactured. They are harder to come across than the batches made using white thread so I'm assuming less were made utilizing colors other than white. So this increases their value since less are out their to collect. Other color threads like purple and black were also substituted. So the question I have is why the use of different color threads? Was their a shortage of white thread or did the manufacture get a good deal on a particular batch of color thread and since it did not change the front of the patch it was economically sound to use during war time shortages. My other question has to do with what other collectors have said regarding colored rear catch threads being an indication that the patch was made during WW2 and not post war. So the way to guarantee that you are purchasing a WW2 shoulder sleeve insignia is to look for colored rear catch threads. Is this true? "

I and others who have read your post have a better understanding now of this subject and I appreciate your explanation.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

Allied Airborne,your opinion,thank you.

Serge

Serge,

A very nice WW2-era US made purple back! The "1" even is a yellow back

H.

Sergesquadron

Serge,

A very nice WW2-era US made purple back! The "1" even is a yellow back

H.

Thank you Hans,

your opinion is very important, I possess your book which is very complete, to see all the manufacturings.

Serge

Thank you Hans,

your opinion is very important, I possess your book which is very complete, to see all the manufacturings.

Serge

Thx Serge !!

:-) :-)

H.

• 2 weeks later...