70s/80s ALICE pack/frame questions

pawtwo

Hello,

I would like to ask you if it would be correct for about mid 80's reenactment to use medium field pack configured that way:

- 1976 dated Medium LC-1 pack

- Green anodized LC-2 frame

- 1979 LC-1 waist Pad + LC-1 waist strap (1994 made but still in OG106)

- LC-2 shoulder straps (1983).

I consider winter configuration so it should have frame.

I have somehow weird LC-2 frame. I always supposed green anodized frames with 1 inch offset at middle crossbar to be LC-2. And LC-2 frame should fit quite nicely with all LC-2 straps. But this one is different at bottom loops that you use to attach waist pad. These loops are quite narrow and it's easier to put there LC-1 waist strap than LC-2 one (LC-2 is a bit too thick for these loops, I can put there LC-2 waist pad but it's really tight). These loops looks like loops used on LC-1 frames.

post-162935-0-70737800-1479194186.png

And whole frame itself. At the time it's the best looking early (or just 80's) LC-2 frame that I could find here. Yes - it was badly dented, but I managed to make it straight as much as possible and now it looks fine. Most of rivets are quite strong. Only the rivet on the top of the frame is quite loose.

Considering these narrower loops for waist pad I was wondering if it wasn't just an early example of LC-2 frame and contrator used old parts that were in stock. All other my LC-2 frames have wider loops for waist pad/strap and you can fit LC-2 waist pad/strap easier in them.

What was reason for making LC-1 waist straps in 1994? Were these used for something else or just replacements? I thought that in 90s LC-1 waist strap was a way obsolete.

post-162935-0-19771600-1479194249.png

I was wondering if older type LC-1 smaller waist pads were still seen in 80s. Some claimed that these were uncomfortable, and in 1979 modified LC-2 straps came out.

pawtwo, You used what you were issued from CIF in the Army. I served during the 80's and we all had a mixture of equipment. The only new stuff I had was purchased by me at the clothing sales store. Just for your information not everyone was issued a frame, I purchased my own at Ft Polk because of being the company rto and the fact that the frame that came with the prc 77 left a lot to be desired.

Hello,

I would like to ask you if it would be correct for about mid 80's reenactment to use medium field pack configured that way:

- 1976 dated Medium LC-1 pack

- Green anodized LC-2 frame

- 1979 LC-1 waist Pad + LC-1 waist strap (1994 made but still in OG106)

- LC-2 shoulder straps (1983).

I consider winter configuration so it should have frame.

I have somehow weird LC-2 frame. I always supposed green anodized frames with 1 inch offset at middle crossbar to be LC-2. And LC-2 frame should fit quite nicely with all LC-2 straps. But this one is different at bottom loops that you use to attach waist pad. These loops are quite narrow and it's easier to put there LC-1 waist strap than LC-2 one (LC-2 is a bit too thick for these loops, I can put there LC-2 waist pad but it's really tight). These loops looks like loops used on LC-1 frames.

Frames weren't even issued to all units in the Early mid 80's. I served in 2nd Armored Division at Ft Hood and no one I knew had a frame for the medium ruck unless they bought one either from surplus in Killeen or MCSS. Those I did see were the green frame and a turnbuckle waist pad

To be honest I just really like how the pack looks with this turnbuckle waist pad. It's so simple.

Also really like how these early spring loaded buckles on early packs works. It's just faster, even if it can be more prone to failure.

post-34986-0-72608800-1479259343.jpg

Here's my large Ruck as an RTO summer of 1982 Alaska, going to the glaciers, lot of stuff on it, had to carry extra M-60 belts (blanks) too, a tactical trip this time (not like the summer before), Steel Pot, LBE and Weapons. These where of the Black frame variety then, don't think we ever seen the green type, nor used waist belts.

Earlier at Hood in the 1st Cav, 80-81, like Linedoggie, we too were not issued frames for the Medium Rucks, in fact didn't think there was one for this size Ruck.

Thanks. That gave me a lot of thinking that for reeanctment I shouldn't use medium pack with frame. But it's still good to have these frames in collection.

Right now I have

- modern post 2000 frame with woodland straps and fastex buckle waist belt that I bought new

- green frame with LC-1 waist pad and thin QR waist belt and LC-2 shoulder straps

- grayish green frame with all LC-2 straps

- cargo shelf and cargo tie down straps from 70s and 80s.

- OG106 Medium Field packs dated 1976 (very nice condition) and one made between 1977 and 1979 (markings wore out) and currently bidding on NOS 1974 one

- Woodland Medium Field pack, NOS, dated 1988

- CG483 Large Field Pack, dated 2005

And lots of loose straps and even another green frame in heavily used condition.

Does these shoulder straps from photo were issue straps at some point? I cannot find good photo of these in use. Usually on photos there are older smaller rectangular shoulder straps or newer woodland ones.

post-162935-0-35894700-1479281731.jpg